chapter 5

Lord Stanley stared angrily after her. He had a mind to call off the engagement there and then. She’s being a complete fool with this scheme of hers, he thought. Upon reflection, he concluded that the best way to punish Emily would be to actually go through with her plan. There was nothing to be gained being a divorced woman as that sharp- tongued girl would soon realise.  The intimate relationship he had only just observed between brother and sister suggested that his suit was no longer necessary for her. He wondered why she still persevered.

Similar thoughts pervaded Emily’s mind. She was greatly appreciative of Henry’s offer, but recently, the independence of a divorced woman had so favorably occupied her thoughts, she was unwilling to refuse it. Neither was she interested in imposing on her brother’s hospitality any longer. Her inheritance was to be granted to her at the age of five and twenty, in accordance with her father’s will. Even once she gained it, she would still remain under the glaring eye of society and her brother. A divorced woman, however, would be kept well out of the way and could do just as she pleased- even dress in breeches, she conceded. So, Emily remained adamant with her plan. As did Lord Stanley.

The next three months passed quickly. Moon Place, the Worthing residence, was busy preparing for the approaching wedding. Emily and Henry continued to get on well together, while, Stanley and Emily were careful to see very little of each other and when they did, confined their conversation to the weather.

It was with a mixture of excitement and nervousness that Emily walked down the aisle in a simple, but elegant, dress of blue towards the groom. Frederick Stanley looked well himself. A fine black dress coat carelessly worn over his shoulders, dark, well- fitted pantaloons and gleaming hessians. His eyes continued to hold that mocking gleam as he watched Emily walk slowly towards him and, gingerly, take his arm. His hand closed over her wrist and he could feel her pulse racing. A not unbecoming flush suffused her cheeks as she smiled happily at her surroundings. She suddenly felt Lord Stanley’s gaze on her and looked up at him. He smiled down at her and just for a moment, Emily thought it reached his eyes.

The ceremony was quick and short. Emily hugged her brothers and sisters farewell and in a short while was ambling down the road towards Kent. 

‘You do not mind that I have cancelled our honey moon as I thought it would be quite unnecessary,’ Lord Stanley said, after a moment.

‘Well,’ Emily replied, cheerfully, ‘I had hoped that, since you knew my interest in travelling to Spain, you would take me there- I guess I was hoping for too much.’

They continued riding in silence for a while. Then Lord Stanley said in a low, harsh voice, ‘I could punish you, you know. For the way you speak to me. I could refuse to divorce you. Have you thought of that?’

She laughed, saying, ‘I could make your life unbearable, my Lord. You needn’t be so foolish. As if you have nothing better to do then set about avenging the female sex through me. It gives me a very poor understanding of your character. You can’t be made of much if you spend your entire time thinking of how to inflict pain on others through your tongue or strength. It is all a ridiculous waste of one’s time and amusement.’

‘Take care, my girl, what you say. I have warned you before now- if you can’t control that tongue of yours, I will.’

‘And as I have already told you, I will only behave so if you do-‘

‘Please, be quite!’ Stanley almost shouted.

Emily shut her mouth and turned her gaze out towards the window. Eventually, she fell asleep. Stanley watched her sleeping form with a mixture of guilt and frustration. He noticed she was beginning to shiver. Scowling, he removed a blanket from beneath their seat and covered her in it. Then, he ordered the carriage to stop and went and sat at the front, leaving Emily alone in the box.