Chapter Two

Baba was coming back today. I really missed him. My baba,my world.

Every body in the house was busy preparing for baba's arrival. Khadija and Najmin our last born were dusting the furniture. Mama didn't like employing maids. She believed that we'll become lazy. Besides our house isn't that big. Just a three bedroom apartment. But sha it made us better people. Najmin was just ten years old and she could already cook. I was proud of the way mama and baba raised us.

I was just setting the trays for baba's food when I heard Khadija and Najmin shouting. Turned out baba had already arrived. Oh how I missed my hero.

"Assalamu Alaikum." I heard baba's voice

"Wa alaikumus salaam." I replied. Then ran to hug my baba with whom Khadija and Najmin were already clinging to.

I didn't care that I was a grown up,what I did care about was that my father was standing infront of me.

"Welcome Baba. How was your journey?" I asked as I released myself from his hold.

"It was fine Alhamdullilah, Ik Ik." Baba said with his personal nickname for me.

"Khadija and Najmin,oya leave baba to rest."

Khadija gave me her signature frown and Najmin didn't even pay me attention. Those girls.

"Ina mamanku?"(where's your mum)

"She's prayi...."

Before I completed my sentence,Mama came in.

"Darling,how are you? I missed you,the people in the village weren't taking care of me the way you do." Baba said smiling.

Mama was standing there blushing. My parents had been married for almost thirty years but they still acted like they just got married.

"Lafiya lau Baban Ahmad. Ya su Hajiya da mutanen katsina?"(Fine Ahmad's father,how's your mother and the people of katsina)

"They're all fine Alhamdullilah. They send their utmost regards. That reminds me, where's Ahmad?"

"He went to the mosque." I replied.

"Okay toh, yalla you girls should go and pray."

I called both Najmin and Khadija and they reluctantly left baba's side.

"You go first."

"No,you go first."

I heard Ikram and Najmin arguing. Argh,who wanna buy siblings. Siblings for sale.

"Before I count 5,one of you should go and perform ablution."

"Haba mana ya Ikram, tell Najmin to go first ,she's the youngest."

"I don't care. Let me not count to five and see you girls still standing there."

Before I could speak, they both ran to the bathroom.After waiting for them to finish. I entered the bathroom and performed my ablution and got ready to pray.

After praying, I raised my hand and prayed to Allah for guidance in all my affairs.

I folded my praying mat then went to the parlour. Turned out Ya Ahmad had come back. All of them were listening intently to a story baba was telling them. I stood by the curtain and smiled. I really loved my family.

I strolled over and ruffled ya Ahamd's hair. He glared at me and I stuck my tongue out.

"Mama, kin ga Ikram koh?" He complained to Mama. Ya Ahmad will never grow up.

"Ikram,stop looking for your brother's trouble."

Now it was his turn to stick his tongue out to me.