Chapter One

"No," I refused. I was staring at a well known house that was to my left. The too familiar house that was plastered over campus on fliers, was now in front of me. "You drove me here blindfolded," I let out my frustration as I held up a classic red and white cowboy scarf, "to an end of the semester party?"

By the way she was trying not to laugh, the corners of her lips turned upwards. "Mmm-hmm." That was all she could muster, still fighting back the urge to laugh.

But I gave in. "Jasmine," I said with a chuckle. She burst into laughter knowing that I hated going to parties. I hated parties in general and everything about them. But she just kept laughing. Needless to say, I couldn't help but laugh with her.

"Please?" She grabbed my hand, hoping that I'd give in. "Because if we don't," she dramatically clutched her chest, "I'll die." With regarding the last two words, she put the back of her hand on her forehead as if she were to faint and closed her eyes. A few seconds later, she peeked an eye open to see my reaction to which I rose an eyebrow.

"Fine, but we're only staying for an hour max," I pointed.

"Fine by me!" Jasmine exclaimed.

As we got out the car, crossed the street, and walked toward the house, I regretted agreeing to this. Already on the lawn were many college kids drinking god knows what. But I agreed and I intended to keep the promise. That was until Jasmine opened the door. That's when I really regretted what I said.

"No," I shook my head as I took in my surroundings.

Sweaty college students were dancing, well, grinding to the music. Everybody was drinking or smoking God knows what. The cups that were thrown everywhere made me cautious of where I would step next. I didn't dare sit on any of the furniture nearby seeing as there were couples on an extreme making out session. If the furniture wasn't being occupied by that site, it'd be trashed with cups or beer bottles that were half empty. I was able to feel the bass from the blaring music in my chest.

"Jasmine, I don't like this," I yelled. When I turned to face her, I was left without her. "Great," I muttered.

Pushing myself through the crowd, it was obvious to see that only a few people weren't disoriented or drunk and I was glad to be one of them. Walking into a room, I saw drunks playing beer pong and chugging vodka. One playing beer pong threw up. Immediately I turned my head in disgust. I shook my head as I left and made my way to the stairs. Each time I tried to ask people to move, the overbearing music muffled my voice. I rolled my eyes and continued to push through the crowd.

Once I was up the stairs, I coughed. The smell of smoke wafted through the hallway. Some smoke travelled out of an open room. Knowing what was going on in the rooms with closed doors, I opted for the smoke room. I held my breath as I entered. There were about seven sofas and tables that were all occupied but one that was at the far end of the room.

"Why did I agree to this?" I muttered to myself as I sat on the sofa. I ran my fingers through my hair. My eyebrows furrowed as I felt a gaze. I turned in curiosity.

A seat cushion away, his light blue eyes were staring at me. He brought a lit cigarette to his lips then blew out a puff of smoke, still watching me. His right arm resting on the shoulder of the sofa, his fingers playing with the cigarette. With his free hand, he ran his fingers through his brown hair.

"Why are you staring at me?" Finally, I mustered up the courage to ask him.

"Well you look like you certainly don't want to be here," he stated before blowing out what he just inhaled, finishing the cigarette. "I'm Vince."

"Mary," I started, "and I don't want to be here."

"Why's that?" He rose an eyebrow. Fishing in his pocket, Vince pulled out a cigarette box and a lighter. After pulling one out, he placed it in between his lips. Flicking the lighter open, he absently held it to the end of his cigarette. The end glowed a bright red.