Chapter Four

(a/n: i apologize for any typos and grammatical errors).

Two weeks passed since Lydia handed in her selection form and today was the day the selected were going to be announced. The thirty five girls would be announced on The Report, which is a show that reported the Illea world news.

Because of the special occasion, Lydia's mom threw an actual party. All the family friends (which included singers, models, actors, actresses, and political figures) were at the Martin household to see Lydia's name pop up for one of the selected. Though it wasn't guaranteed that Lydia would get in, everyone had high confidence that she would.

"Are you excited?" One of Lydia's friends, Erica Reyes, asked as they stood inside the kitchen. Erica Reyes was also a two and worked as an actress and part-time model. Her family was wealthy and was high in power also. Erica also entered her name in the Selection, but she only entered for the fun of it and because her mom offered to pay for an expensive penthouse that Erica wanted. Even though Erica could easily afford the apartment, she would still take any chance she could to save money.

Erica was a sweetheart, but she definitely wasn't Illea's sweetheart. Erica was always daring with what she wore and said. She was a model, and she was confident. She was gorgeous and she knew it. Her clothes were always short and revealing, but Lydia wasn't one to judge. People were allowed to live their lives the way they wanted. Though Erica wasn't the type of person to get crazy drunk, she definitely knew how to party. Lydia barely went to any of them since she was the type of person to help with cleanup and help her friends with hangovers.

"For what?" Lydia then asked as she took a sip of her pomegranate lemonade.

"What do you think?" Erica teased, "You're going to be one of the thirty five chosen girls! Isn't that exciting?"

Lydia rolled her eyes, "The girls haven't even been announced yet. How is everyone so confident that I'm one of the chosen?"

Erica raised her eyebrow, "Because you're drop-dead gorgeous and you told me the conversation between you and the Prince. He basically told you that you're going to be one of the chosen."

"Right." Lydia nodded and began walking out of her living room as The Report came on. She sat on the couch with her family on her right side and Erica on her left. People pulled up chairs and gathered around the couch as names were announced.

One by one, names were called and everyone ranged from castes. Malia Tate, who was a five, was one of the chosen. Cora Hale, an eight, was chosen. Kira Yukimura, a three, was also chosen. Those were the only three girls that Lydia actually remembered. As the list went on a number thirty approached, Erica's name was called. She actually dropped her glass on the ground because of the shock.

"I just entered for fun..." She mumbled, "I didn't actually want to be chosen."

"Erica!" Lydia beamed, "That's great news!"

The thirty fifth girl was about to be called and Lydia braced herself. She knew that all the confidence was for nothing. The party was meant for her, but now it was going to be a pity party since Lydia wasn't going to be called. Her mother would be ashamed and lecture her for several hours about "not being good enough" or "shaming the family name". Lydia could already predict the conversation.

Lydia carefully watched as the next name popped onto the screen. Everyone grew silent as the photo of the thirty fifth girl appeared. Lydia saw her photo and she gasped.

She got selected.

------- 

HI EVERYONE.

Sorry for this short and sucky chapter. I threw it together even though it could be much better. Anyway, how are all of you? Long time, no talk. I promise this story will actually start getting good. These chapters are the intros and kind of suck lol.

I'll try to update everything as soon as possible. I want to be more active and finish and start more stories. And, if you want to see Lydia and Erica's outfit, you can check out my polyvore 'teenwxlves'.

Speaking which, I just published a new book called 'Independence University'. I'd really appreciate it if you guys went to go check it out and leave comments/vote.

Thank you all so much and I love you all!

- xx autumn