Chapter One

(A/N hey guys... did this upload surprise anyone? Anyway, let's get started. Bear with me if that first chapter is awful. The story gets better as it goes.)

Lydia sat in her room, fixing her makeup and adjusting her dress. She was preparing to see her father stand on stage and give the people of Illea a speech about "not losing hope" and just because "The country is in a rough patch and the economy may be failing does not mean we should panic."

Lydia Martin grew up in a very wealthy family. In the Illea caste system, Lydia and her family were Two's; second in power to the One's. All families that were One's were the most powerful and wealthy in Illea due to the fact they were either royalty or had to do with religion. Lydia and her family were Two's, and Two's consisted of political figures (which was her dad was), police, singers, actors, models, and so on.

The seventeen year old was lucky. She lived a luxurious life with a wonderful family name. Lydia could have been born into a family that were Eight's, and Eight's were the lowest of low and poorest of poor in Illea. Instead, she was sitting in a room that was probably worth more than an Eight's house and was getting ready to watch her father make an inspiring speech.

She was also lucky enough to live in Southern Angeles, where most of the wealthy people lived. Angeles was where the Royal Palace was located, except it was in Northern Angeles.

"Baby sister," Lydia's twenty one brother, Joseph, said in a sing-song voice as he knocked on his sisters room door, "Are you almost ready?"

"Yes." Lydia called as she fixed the braids upon the top of her head and slipped on her white high heels that were made out of a leather material that had cut outs going to her ankle. She walked out of her room, seeing her mom and older brother waiting in the living room.

"Great, you're ready. Let's go." Her mom grabbed her purse and began marching out of the door, "You guys look marvelous. It'll make your father proud and give the people more reasons to like our family."

Lydia glanced at Joseph and he simply shrugged. Though she was use to her mother acting like this, it was always aggravating how her mother cared more about the family name and appearance rather than the well being of her children. Perhaps it made sense. The Martin Family was one of the most wealthy and looked up to families in Illea. If any family had a reputation to uphold, it was Lydia's. Her father was a very strong and influential political figure and her mother was a retired actress. Joseph was following in his father's footsteps and Lydia was forced to do the same.

As Lydia and her family walked upon stage, people cheered. Lydia could never understand why people loved her family and why people were so intrigued by the latest happenings of the Martin family. She was placed few feet behind her father's podium and stood beside Joseph. Lydia watched as her popular father walked onto stage, which only made the crowd go even more crazy. He already had numerous notecards sitting at the podium that he would read off of.

At times like these, Lydia just zoned out but wore a smile on her face. She felt like she had an automatic timer in her head that would tell her when to laugh or clap. She would have to smile the whole time to look professional, and she already knew that when on stage she would have to fold her hands together and put them in front of her stomach.

People were holding up cameras, signs, and waving hats around. Her father was a natural-born public speaker and spoke with grace. He always had sure to make a connection in the audience and the people loved it. Her father knew how to make people love him.

In an hour and a half, her father's speech was finally over. Her face felt numb from smiling so much and her hands were turning read because she had to clap every few words. When her brother was off stage and out of camera sight, he began complaining about how unfair it was that they had to stand on stage the whole time.