Chapter 20 - The Plan

Luca's POV

"I've got her," I shouted.

"Whoa, man. You almost took off my ear," Walker grumbled. "You've got who?"

"I've had her this whole time," I laughed, still in shock at Blythe's revelation. The moment she excused herself to use the restroom, I dialed my partner.

"Man, I'm still lost," Walker answered. "Explain."

I ran a hand through my curls and began pacing the floor.

"Remember how I said I was working on something, so even if the Captain would let me come back to New York, I couldn't?"

"Uh, yeah?" It was evident Walker had no idea what I was talking about, so I decided to cut to the chase.

"On the bus to Pittsburgh, I sat next to a twelve year old girl who was put on the wrong bus by her negligent uncle. I talked to her mom and promised to bring her home to Oklahoma," I explained.

"What?! Dude, isn't that a little too Good Samaritan? Even for you?"

I chuckled. "I was desperate to cut my trip to Rachel's short," I informed him. "I was breaking things off, and I knew it wouldn't be pretty."

"I'm hurt, man. You tell me nothing anymore," Walker pouted.

"Whatever, man," I muttered, a grin creeping onto my face. "Anyway, it turns out the girl isn't twelve," I informed him.

"Okay?"

"She's twenty-three, and she's on the run from her boyfriend," I stated, waiting for Walker to connect the dots.

"Damn, man. Sucks to be you," he teased. "And you believed she was twelve?" Walker began laughing on the other end of the line.

"Not the point, Walker," I growled. "The point is that her boyfriend is none other than Michael Johnson, hotel entrepreneur, and cousin to one Jimmy Fitzgerald of the Fitzgerald crime family."

The line grew silent, and for a moment, I thought Walker had dropped the call.

"Say it again," he murmured, excitement lacing his command.

"My travel companion is Blythe Conners, the woman currently hiding from Michael Johnson. The woman you have been searching all of New York State to find."

I grinned, imaging the shock on Walker's face.

"We've got him!" Walker cheered. "Luca, we're going to take down the bastards that killed your sister."

My heart hurt at the mention of Ally, but hope and pride filled my heart, knowing I was finally going to bring her killers to justice. I could taste the victory.

"We've got to get her into protective custody, Luc," Walker stated, his tone back to business. "Where are you guys headed?"

"Well," I began. "I thought she was a kid, so I was taking her home to Oklahoma, but I'm thinking that might be a bad idea," I informed him.

"I agree," Walker answered earnestly. "Charlie Hampton called us before he went to see the younger sister. He'd gotten a phone call from someone named Michael asking questions about your girl. He even mentioned traveling to Oklahoma to make sure she was okay. Apparently, Mr. Hampton didn't find the man to sound trustworthy."

"I can't take her there, then. If Mikey's tracked her, you know he'll be ruthless. Set something up and give me a call," I ordered him.

"This couldn't have happened at a better time, Luca. We don't even have to tell anyone you have her in custody," Walker commented. "As far as they know, you're spending the week with your mythical fiancée. Even the Captain won't know you're protecting our primary witness."