Chapter XXXVII: Departure to the Shadows

The crowd of people anxiously await the Bringers of Hope to start speaking to them. Drayk and Roku however, are unable to find words that might inspire the thousands of people before them.

"People of Gaia! Followers and supporters of the light!" Drayk calls out to them, "I know times have been tough, and this world has known nothing but chaos for far too long! I'm sure that even your faith may have even deferred, but you have held strong! We, your heroes, will go against the darkness and end it, once and for all!"

"We will not stop until everyone is safe once more! That, I personally promise to each and every one of you here!" Roku shouts out to the crowd with a big smile on her face, "This world will know peace!"

The crowd cheers out with thunderous applause, chanting for the Bringers of Hope. Drayk signals to settle the crowd's excitement, which does not work right away. It takes a moment to settle them so the Bringers can continue to speak to them.

Later that day ~

Drayk and Roku finally get a chance to sneak away from the crowd and back to their hotel room. Tao is already waiting for them once they get there. He is sitting down in the chair at the small table so the Bringers sit next to one another on the bed.

"Very inspirational you two," Tao tells them, "I have a personal request for the two of you."

"What's that?" Roku asks.

"I need you two to visit the Forgotten Land of Shadows. There is an old master of Shadow Magic that lives there. It would be wise to brush up on it," Tao replies.

"Shadow Magic?" Roku wonders out loud.

"It's a very rare and almost taboo magic. It's the kind of magic that Grimm and Xivaac used.... and Sammi," Drayk answers before Tao can, "I've heard their land no longer exists. That it vanished in the middle of the night, leaving a giant crater where it once stood. That crater eventually filled with water and is the largest lake in the world."

"You are correct as far as that goes. You definitely know your world magic history," Tao jokes, "The lands did disappear from the world, but it is still among us. Well, above us would be more accurate. The Land of Shadows floats above the world, concealed by clouds and drifts everywhere. It is nearly impossible to find, but I have a way to locate it."

"Do you really think we need to study it Tao?" Drayk asks him.

"Indeed. As I previously mentioned, I do believe it would be wise. Your enemies know it well, including Lady Parocaav. Shadow Magic was created by her. She perfected Ice Magic as well, but that won't be your guys' problem," Tao explains.

"Alright, so how do we get there?" Roku asks him.

"Don't worry about that now. We'll head out in the morning. Get some sleep," Tao answers as he walks out of the Bringers' room.

The next morning ~

Roku opens her eyes slowly and glances around the room. She soon notices that Drayk is already up and about. He is sitting over at the table in the room, reading a book. The feeling of being watched makes him set the book down while turning to face Roku. She smiles once his eyes make contact with hers.

"Good morning," Drayk says with a smile on his face.

"Good morning," Roku says back, "You ready to go meet Tao?"

"I am, yes. You ready?"

"Of course! I'm always ready!"

The Bringers of Hope start to gather their things without saying anything further. Roku's mind is too focused on what to expect. It's not very often that one would get to go to a place that floats above the world, high in the clouds. Drayk on the other hand, is only thinking of his sister. In the back of his mind he knows that sooner or later he will need to face her. That, however, does not make it even easier for him. It even makes him feel a little guilty.

Once they have finished preparing themselves, the Bringers of Hope walk out of the little room and out into the lobby. There, already waiting for them, is Tao. He is leaning against the bar, chatting with the barkeep. His eyes catch their movement and starts to walk over to them. He yawns a bit and hands each of them a cup of coffee.

"Drink up, we'll be heading out shortly," Tao explains, "I need to run a quick errand. Meet me outside of town in a few minutes."

"Alright," the Bringers of Hope simultaneously respond.

Drayk and Roku proceed to the entrance to the town once they have finished the coffee that Tao gave them. They are only there for a few minutes before Tao shows up. He is carrying a black charm on a chain in his left hand and in his right, is a flute.

"What are those for?" Roku asks him right away.

"The chain will permit us to visit the Land of Shadows. The flute is how we will get there," Tao explains then plays a tune on the flute.

The shadows beneath their feet darkens and fuse together to make a large shadow. An almost pitch black smoke pours up from the ground. Soon, the three of them are encased with shadow. A sinking feeling strikes them all as the shadow seems to have lifted quickly into the air. A few minutes go by before they feel solid ground under their feet again. The shadows dissipate to show they are on an island, which is surrounded by open sky and a sea of clouds.

"Welcome to the Land of Shadows, Bringers of Hope," Tao tells them in a calm voice, "This place is amazing, isn't it? This is only my second visit here."

Roku gets close to the edge and looks over it. Nothing can be seen through the clouds that encase the floating island. She is stricken with awe as she turns around to face Drayk and Tao with a big smile on her face. Just then, passed them, she sees a young woman, no older than herself approach them from within the island. Her hair is as black as the shadows as are the clothes she is wearing. The tone of her skin is rather pale considering how much this place gets. Not one cloud drifts above this island, it is always clear skies.

"Welcome to the Land of Shadows, Bringers of Hope," the woman states, "I am Aor, princess to these lands. Please, come with me. My father will want to know you have arrived."