Chapter XII: First Meeting, Tao

A small Storm Mage town sheds into light from the morning's sun. Tao walks out of a weapon shop in the middle of the town. Twin blades are crossed on his back in decorative golden sheathes. He is now dressed wearing dark brown robes over black clothing. His hair rustles in with a slight breeze. Tao turns his head to listen to the winds, and a smirk spreads across his face.

"Time already?" Tao sighs, "Alright, it's time to make my acquaintance with the Bringers of Hope. Grimm has returned."

Meanwhile ~

Drayk clashes his sword against Grimm's mighty scythe. Sparks fly from the blades as they scrape against one another. Roku jumps in, striking with both twin blades. Grimm spins his scythe and counters both of the Bringers' attacks. He disappears into shadows and reappears behind Roku. A blast of black fire shoots Grimm in the back, preventing him from striking Roku. Sammi throws another black fireball at Grimm, but he disappears into shadows once again.

"You cannot defeat me, Bringers of Hope!" Grimm exclaims, echoing from all around them, "It's suiting that your end shall be in the Land of Beginnings!"

"We're just getting started Grimm!" Roku shouts.

"Quit hiding you coward!" Drayk roars.

"Suit yourself," Grimm laughs as he emerges from the shadows.

The blade of his scythe slices down Drayk's arm, cutting part of his sleeve open. Blood runs down the length of his arm and drips from his fingertips. He fists his hand and shakes the pain off while jumping away from Grimm. Roku slashes at the reaper, but her attacks are parried. Sammi tries again with Fire Magic, spraying black fire at Grimm. While Grimm uses one hand to ward off Roku with his scythe, he uses his other hand to repel the flames with a blast of darkness. The three of them continue to strike at the reaper, but he easily manages to counter their attempts.

Grimm stretches out his arms and a black shock wave shoots in all directions, sending the Bringers flying. They all land hard against the ground, unable to catch themselves. Grimm flies up into the air and holds his scythe high above his head. The morning sun peaks above the horizon and its light is captured by the blade of the scythe. It glows a bright yellow, soon encasing the entire weapon. Grimm swings his scythe towards the ground, sending a huge golden arch of light at the Bringers. The arch explodes on impact with the ground.

Once the dust settles, Grimm laughs at the sight of the Bringers of Hope scattered about below him. Beaten, bloodied and in excruciating pain, the Bringers of Hope groan. Grimm lands on top of a boulder and roars out in hysterical laughter. He flicks his wrist and his scythe vanishes. He places his hands on the rock he's standing on, making darkness run into the ground beneath the trio. The ground rises up and pushes the three together.

"That's quite enough Grimm!" Tao yells from a distance.

"Who the hell are you to try and stop me?!" Grimm demands to know, "Show yourself!"

Tao leaps out from a gathering of plant life. He lands directly next to the Bringers of Hope and waves his right hand over them. A sparkling powder falls over them which makes them glow a soft green for a moment. Once the light dims, the Bringers are completely healed of their injuries. The three of them fall into a sleep from the powder though. Tao turns to look up at Grimm, his robes swaying as he does.

"My name is Tao of Ragnarok," Tao tells the reaper, "I cannot allow you to harm these people."

"Tao? I have not heard someone introduce themselves as a Ragnarok in millennia. Who are you?" Grimm asks rather intrigued.

"You don't remember me?" Tao mocks him as he looks straight into Grimm's glowing eyes.

For a brief moment, Tao reveals a flash of his real face. It returns to normal and Tao let's out a smile.

"You!?" Grimm exclaims in shock, "From the Ragnarok Wars?!"

"You do remember me," Tao jokes, "You see, Leon has sent me here to make sure the Bringers of Hope succeed in ridding this world of darkness."

"Leon?" Roku asks as she stands up, barely awake.

"This isn't over Tao of Ragnarok! I will be back for them!" Grimm roars as he vanishes into the darkness.

"Tao?!" Roku shouts surprised, then calmly asks, "Leon really sent you?"

"I'll explain another time, we must go," Tao explains, "Let us go to the Coastal West to talk."

Later that day ~

The Bringers of Hope, along with their new acquaintance, arrive at the Coastal West. The powerful dragon Vortex disappears in a flash of light as Roku puts the Waystone away. Tao looks out at the Western Ocean with a smile on his face. He turns to face them and sees the confusion and concern written on their faces.

"You never quite get used to riding on Vortex's back. His speed is remarkable," Tao says to break the tension.

"Who are you Tao?" Roku asks with a concerned look on her face, "Did Leon really send you here?"

"Yes he did. He was my Master in Ragnarok Magic, as he was yours as well, Drayk and Roku," Tao explains with sincerity in his voice, "I come from a place in the ancient past. I fought along side Leon during the Ragnarok Wars and trained under him for years before. Gaia told Leon and I of the Bringers of Hope and what would take place here. Leon thought it was best for me to come here to assist in any way I can. Although, I was to only come here once Lady Parocaav was restored, and long after Leon's death."

"Why this point in time?" Drayk inquires immediately.

"Something terrible would have happened to you if I hadn't arrived to save you from Grimm. Leon told me Gaia advised him of my arrival to prevent you from failing in your new quest," Tao tells them, "I could not allow you to fail. This world needs to survive. Now, I know we're all exhausted.... let's get some sleep and we'll discuss this more at a later date. We'll be busy in the next few weeks to come, so it be best to get some good sleep now. Goodnight Bringers of Hope."

Tao lays down and instantly falls asleep. He starts to snore softly as the Bringers look among themselves. After shrugging their shoulders, they decide to go to sleep as well. Somehow, Tao's presence is comfortable and familiar to the three of them.