12- A Confession

“I demand a rematch!”

We were passing a high school near the interstate after stopping for lunch and gas. Sydney was the one demanding the rematch and she was talking about soccer because when we played the first time, the guys one and because all high schools have soccer fields I think, the immediate response to seeing the empty high school was a soccer rematch.

“You’ll still lose,” Ross sang confidently as Rosa, who was driving, turned off of the interstate towards the high school. I’m sure it wasn’t legal to sneak onto school property to use their soccer field, but it’s not like we were super sensitive about breaking laws. I mean, only the harmless laws not laws against murder or assault or stuff like that obviously.

“That’s so sad,” Erin giggled. “That you think you’ll win.”

“We did the first time, sweetheart,” Logan grinned.

It was two days after the strip go fish game and almost everyone had a super foggy memory of the night, but it was in the past by now and everyone was over it.

“Well, that was just beginners luck,” She fired back.

“I’m pretty sure we’ve been playing soccer just as long as you guys have,” Logan laughed.

“And I’m pretty sure that you just got lucky last time,” Grace chirped. “And we’re totally taking you down this time.”

And that’s how the second soccer battle started. There were “friendly” insults flying everywhere around the bus even after Rosa parked at the high school, nobody was moving because we were all too competitive to not argue first.

“You’re pretty confident,” Kenton informed me with a boyish smirk. “For somebody who lost last time.”

“We barely lost,” I scoffed, standing up so that I could go change into something more athletic than my pajama bottoms and tank top. “And this time, we’ll seriously win so you’re about to get very embarrassed and I’ll never ever let you hear the end of it.”

He kissed me softly with that cocky smirk still playing on his lips. “It’s adorable that you think that, Lanie.”

“It’s adorable that you think that’s adorable,” I giggled, going into the back of the bus to change into short shorts and a clean tank top, grabbing my soccer stuff like cleats and shin guards and stuff.

The insults and craziness went on for about another ten minutes while everyone prepared for the game by getting dressed and stretching for the game that was about to come.

“Lanie,” Baker came up to me as all twelve of us made the quick and hopefully discreet walk to the open soccer field behind the school. “I don’t really want to play.”

“What? You have to! You’re a way better goalie than Gaige, you totally have this,” I insisted excitedly, throwing my caramel colored hair into a tight pony tail on the top of my head.

“I don’t know, I mean, Gaige is pretty cool and he’s a good guy,” Baker began to ramble.

“Whoa, do you have a crush on Gaige or something?” I wondered curiously. “Are you feeling okay?”

“Yeah, but I um… I hurt my ankle that night when we were dancing,” She admitted. “And I don’t think it’s a good idea to play on it.”

“Okay, well just stand at the goal and look intimidating,” I assured her. “We’ll keep the ball away from the goal.”

“Are you sure you can do that?” She wondered hesitantly.

“Of course,” I laughed. “Those guys are idiots.”