Chapter 17 - Déjà Vu

Blythe's POV

The awkwardness in the air was palpable once we returned to the bus. Luca's phone ringing had effectively ended our connection. I had been so ready to tell him the truth about everything - my age, Michael, the murder - but I was starting to wonder if the soccer ball and the phone call were a sign. Both times I decided to confess the truth to him, our conversation was abruptly ended due to an unexpected interruption.

Several hours had passed, and I was completely exhausted. The day was catching up to me, and my nightmares the last several nights left me even more ready for a nice, long nap. Unfortunately, while my body was exhausted, my mind wouldn't stop feverishly replaying the events of the last two and a half days. Every time I closed my eyes, I was assaulted with visions of Michael's face as he lifted his gun to my chest.

Thankfully, we had finally reached another stop on our journey. I was becoming cranky when I spied the coffee shop across the street from the bus station. It was perfect timing. A little java would help me fight sleep a little longer, and the caffeine jolt would definitely raise my mood.

Surprisingly, Luca agreed to let me run ahead as he stopped at an ATM outside. I inhaled deeply as I entered the cozy store. The scent of roasted coffee filled my nose, and I sighed in bliss. Waiting patiently for the patrons in front of me to order, I scanned the menu, debating between a café Americano or a mocha cappuccino. Before I could decide, a firm hand gripped my elbow, and I felt the heat of a large body pressed against me.

"Come with me, or your little detective won't know what hit him," a husky voice whispered in my ear.

A shiver ran down my spine, and I didn't even have to turn to see the culprit was Michael. His musky scent overwhelmed the delicious fragrance of the coffee, and I knew if I faced him, I'd see the soulless green eyes that had been haunting me for days.

I fought the urge to defend myself as I allowed Michael to lead me quietly down the hallway and past the restrooms to the back exit. I squinted my eyes to protect them from the sudden brightness of the afternoon sun. As my eyes adjusted to the light, I noticed the alley we were now occupying was almost identical to the one where I had seen Lou meet his untimely end. My stomach revolted at the poisonous thought that I may meet the same fate in this very passageway.

As the door swung shut behind us, Michael pressed my back against the exit, his hands gripping my arms to my sides. He leaned forward and drew his lips up my neck, inhaling the fragrance of my hair.

"Blythe, you've broken my heart," he murmured. "I planned to keep you around for a good, long time," he groaned, nibbling my ear.

My heart was pounding in my chest. While his tone was sensuous, there was a biting edge to each word. The effect was deadly, and I knew without doubt that my time on this earth was short.

"Why'd you have to cross me, babe?" He began sucking my neck, and I squirmed against his hold.

"I didn't cross you, M-Michael. I haven't told anyone!" I contested. I didn't dwell on the fact that I'd been moments from spilling the entire story to Luca. The only thing that mattered was that I hadn't. I had kept my mouth shut.

"How am I to believe that, Blythe?" Michael cooed in my ear. "You've been traveling with the cop that is trying to ruin me."

One of his hands left my arm and trailed my side, settling on my hip. He pulled me into his chest, moaning at the contact.

"I didn't tell him anything, Michael," I cried. "He thinks I'm a twelve year old kid!" My eyes begged him to believe me, but he was more focused on my chest than he was on meeting my eyes.