Chapter 16 - Little Soccer Star

Luca's POV

I was thankful we finally had a lay-over of sorts. It felt good to stretch my legs, and my stomach was begging for something to eat. We had pretty much skipped lunch in our hurry to leave Rachel's house, and the few snacks I'd gotten from the vending machine hadn't satisfied me. Blythe had spotted a sub shop across the street from the bus station, so we had ordered half the menu and were now headed to a park a block down the street.

Blythe had seemed preoccupied since her phone call with Bekah, and I was growing concerned with her change in countenance. She appeared worried, and I was tempted to call Bekah and demand answers. I was sure that whatever Bekah had told her was responsible for Blythe's pensive mood.

"Luca, over there!"

I turned to see Blythe gesturing to a few open picnic tables next to an open field. She hurried to one of the vacant tables and set our drinks on it.

"Come on, Luca!" she called. "I'm starving!"

I grinned at her impatience, and for the first time in over an hour, she smiled in return.  The moment I set our food on the table, Blythe grabbed her sandwich and chips and began devouring them. I chuckled at the sight of her. She was so petite, but she was attacking the sandwich as if she were a lion devouring its prey.

"What?" she asked, looking at me expectantly. Her eyes were sparkling with mischief. "Don't tell me you've never seen someone eat before."

"Is that what you call it?" I teased. My smile grew when I saw her cheeks flush red.

"So sue me. I'm hungry," she muttered before taking another large bite of her sandwich.

"Glad you like your lunch," I grinned, but this time she only rolled her eyes and continued her meal.

I sat at the table and unwrapped my own sandwich. As I ate, I scanned the large park. There was a playground in the distance, full of children climbing monkey bars and swinging on the swings. Next to us was a large field, and there were a few teenage boys playing soccer. At a nearby table, an old man was seated across from someone I assumed was his son. The resemblance between them was uncanny. The two were engaged in a rather intense chess match. Hearing a dog bark in the distance, Blythe finally raised her head from the consumption of her food and looked longingly at the Chocolate Labrador leading its owner along a trail.

"So, you like dogs?" I asked, missing the easy conversation we'd had earlier.

"I love them," Blythe admitted. "We had several on the farm when I was growing up, but I don't have one anymore."

"Don't farmers usually keep dogs around to help with pests?"  I asked.

"Well, yeah," she answered nonchalantly. "Mom and Dad still have dogs. That's one thing I'll actually enjoy about going back home."

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. How long had she been gone?

"What?" I questioned, perplexed by her comment.

Blythe looked for just a moment like a deer caught in headlights. The expression was gone almost as quickly as it had crossed her face, but she still looked guilty about something. Her mossy gaze met mine, so serious I held my breath.

"About that," she began, her voice almost a whisper. "I need to tell you something." She bit her lip as she considered her next words.

"Look out!"

Before I could register the loud male voice shouting in warning, Blythe's head snapped back from the impact of the flying soccer ball. Dazed, she lost her balance and fell from the picnic table to the ground. I jumped from my seat and hurried around the table, only to be met by a groaning Blythe, writhing on the grass beneath her.