Belonging to Darkness

The Dark Realm, twenty years ago...

The hooded figure stood underneath the light of the full blood moon. He was enormous. The moon haze lit up the air around his dark aura. The male stood still, squaring his broad shoulders, clenching the muscles that were underneath his clad leathers, holding his ground. He looked as menacing as the grim reaper, and Squall couldn't help but feel a little shiver run up his spin as he walked closer. This man was death itself.

Squall appeared at his side and they stood together for a moment, in silence. Wind swept through the room, chilling his arms. He had to grit his teeth not to shudder from the cool, winter breeze. He would not appear weak in front of this man. One whom he once considered his best friend.

Neither of them said anything. Both stood silent. Squall took the time to gather his surroundings and thoughts. 

The room looked haunted, deathly even. A perfect place to conduct such a meeting. Dark pillars held up what looked to be a deteriorating ceiling. And the floor was missing in a few spots in the center of the room. If one were to slip beneath the floor they would fall into the ocean that awaited them below. This place looked dead and abandoned but it was far from that. Many times, executioners used this room to torture and punish those who broke the law or committed evil. This was the punishment room. A room in which he now stood in, waiting to find out why an old friend had brought him to such a place. 

"Things are not as they once were," his old friend stated as he turned to look out over the horizon.

"Everything changes. We must embrace change for it is the future of our realm." Squall took a step closer to his former friend and spoke up.

"In some ways we cannot change. Not in this realm. You broke the law, Squall. Not even I can protect you from that."

Squall gulped and looked away from his face. His eyes rested on the far side of the room. The equipment was all still there. Torture devices, swords, hammers, any weapon possible lined the walls. On top of the wooden tables were whips and lashes, and knives of all sorts. He was familiar with these devices. He too once stood executioner to someones crimes. And he was good at it. He had the ability to gather Intel from those who withheld valuable information from him. He wondered if those tools and equipment would be used upon him now?

"What would you have of me?" Squall asked and waited for his old friend to reply. He was afraid he already knew what was going to become of him. 

"What would I have of you? You bloody well broke the law! Our code." He whipped his head around and stared at him. "The very laws we swore to obey when we took that binding oath to our services to Azazel. He wishes for your death for what you have done!" His old friend spat out. He brought both of his calloused hands up, and looked to the gruesome red sky. Then turned his dark and brooding stare to Squall.

Squall trembled slightly under his blank stare. Once, he called him friend. Now he feared that time has passed. They were no longer brothers anymore.

With uneasiness, he cleared his throat and bowed formally to the man in black, "I am sorry I disappointed you. I have let you down and for that I am so very sorry. I regret many things in my existence and I did not mean to cause offense. My deepest sorrow, old friend."

"Old friend?" The man in black leather drawled. In a flash he was standing before Squall. He grabbed the shirt Squall was wearing and pulled him close. Those piercing blue eyes now looked into his own. They were emotionless. Cold and Empty.