One

The Human realm, twenty years later ......

Fog filled the late October sky, coating it in a misty haze. The sun was just beginning to set, as kids began to leave their houses to go trick-or-treating. Halloween night was one of Serena's favourite nights of the whole year. The one night Serena could dress up and pretend to be someone she is not.

The costume she decided on this year made her look like a witch. Her black skirt hugged her curvy thighs and cut off just short enough to show off her lengthy legs. The fitted top had a v-neck in the front, just low enough to show off a little bit of cleavage, but still looked modest enough to hand out candy to kids. And the pointy hat topped off the 'witch' look she was going for. The costume made her feel sexy, an emotion she hadn't felt in a long time. Tonight when she looked in her mirror she was not the shy, quiet girl everyone thought her to be. Tonight she was powerful and free.

Serena headed downstairs and flicked on the light outside. The beauty of living in the city on Halloween night was lots of children visited her house in hopes of receiving candy. She loved kids, they were so carefree and wild. So innocent in a way. Their little smiles could go on for miles. And this year, Serena was ready for the little monsters.

She sat on her plush sofa, with a bag of candy laying on the floor. It was for the kids, of course, but that didn't mean she didn't take a candy bar for herself, or two. As she waited for evening to descend, her eyes drifted to the small television in front of her. As she scrolled through the guide, Friday the 13th was playing, along with more scary movies followed by it.

A typical Halloween Night. A great way of spending her twentieth birthday, munching on treats, watching scary movies, and handing out her candy to children.

Her one-bedroom house was small, but colourful. Swirls and intriguing patterns lined the walls, a design she made herself. It wasn't a lot of space, but it was home and it was affordable. And it was hers.

Serena rested her hands on the armrest of the sofa while she glanced at her window. Street lights lit up enough light to see the little munchkins traveling down the street. They would be at her house soon enough. Little girls were dressed up as princesses and fairies while the boys were copying the latest trends from scary movies, dressing up as Freddie, Jason, and Scream. They stopped off at her neighbor's house first, barely able to contain their excitement. The children were jumping up and down with delight as the frail old lady opened her door.

Her neighbour, Delia, opened the door wide and acted surprised when the kids jumped at her. Delia held her hand up to her throat, and gasped. She acted as if she were scared of the little boys. It was adorable to watch one of the boys tear off their masks and say to the old lady, " It's okay, Delia. Its only me, Jason. I won't hurt you."

Delia gave the children a warming smile before she ruffled Jason's hair, "My, you sure scared me. All of your costumes are delightful. Now... which one of you kiddies' would like some candy?"

The children chanted 'I do', while they jumped up and down on Delia's porch waiting to be given candy. Pain and longing erupted deep in her heart, before this moment she never thought of having kids, but now, now she wished for one.

As they left Delia's porch, the children trotted up to Serena's small house. Soft footsteps echoed as they climbed the stairs to reach her door. Then the knocking came with soft, barely audible knocks. Serena sighed and picked up her bag of candy. She walked over to the door and opened it up. A crooked smile spilling across her face.