Little Drummer Boy

Prologue

So, you want to hear my story. It seems like everyone does. Well, I guess not my story so much as his. But if you want the truth of him, of Jace, then you have to start with me. I mean, I only saw so much, and Jace didn’t tell me everything. It wasn’t so much that he didn’t trust me, though that was the case at first, but it was more that he didn’t know. I mean, what do you expect from someone like him, after a few hours together he becomes best friends with you?

No.

Even if he was normal, I wouldn’t expect that much. After a few hours, you might be able to get along, or you might find that you can’t stand each other. Either way, you don’t know everything about each other. After a dinner together you might learn their tastes in food, and after some time watching TV, you might know what they find boring or funny. But really, it’s only so much.

We’ve had more than a night together, but still, it’s not as long as you might think. And while I’d call him my friend, it wasn’t by choice that we become so close. But he’s my brother, by blood or not, that doesn’t matter. And he’s also the one who changed my life more than any other. So that’s why I’m writing this story. For him, and for me, but more than that, so I don’t forget.

It seems like many people do forget. They just allow the great things in their life to pass them by. They let go of their old friendships, the magnificent things in their life just to hold onto the ordinary. I’m not going to lie and say he didn’t bring me pain, he brought all of us quite a bit of that. That’s no reason to forget though; love hurts sometimes.

But that’s beside the point. At least for the most part. Forgive me, this isn’t always a story that has a straight path to tell. I know, start at the beginning, go from there, that’s the most basic way to do it. But maybe it’s not the best. Sometime a good story is like that. But I’ll keep it as simple as I can. We’ll start with the day he became part of my family, and then just go from there.