9: Serenity

Chapter 9: Serenity

Jane

Light flooded through my eyelids, turning them the color of a crisp, pink rose as the Sun shone through them. My eyelashes felt as if they were glued together, feeling sticky as I forced them open. I was back in the Institute, laying on soft cotton sheets, the smell of lemons somehow filling my nostrils. I guess that was just the Shadowhunter-aura.

"Morning." It was Liam. He was standing at the doorway to my bedroom. A bandage was wrapped around his forearm, a few faint scratches on his face. I smiled warmly at him.

"Morning. How long was I out?" I asked him as I sat up, attempting to rub the sleep out of my eyes.

"Well, it's 3 in the afternoon right about now..." He started, my eyes widening in disbelief. "What?" I exclaimed, my voice still a bit raspy from sleeping so long.

"We actually got back around 6 in the morning, and you didn't go to sleep until 7, so it's not as long as you think, don't worry." He quickly added, sensing my worry. I sighed, that explained why I was still so tired. Vampire fights really take it out of you.

"I feel like a Vampire used me as a 5-Hour Energy." I remarked as Liam laughed, his arms still crossed casually at my doorframe.

"I suppose summoning a pack of Werewolves will do that to you." He replied, me looking up at him.

"How'd you even pull that off anyways?" He asked, as more of a side-note. "Honestly, I just pulled it out of my head. Like someone had sent it to me, I don't know, telepathically or something. It's like the realization you get when you figure out what to write or draw." I explained, pausing due to the small headache I had obtained.

"Well I thought it was awesome." He said in his usual geeky tone, me giggling as I shooed him away. "Get, Liam. I've gotta change." I said as he walked out, closing the door behind him.

I took a nice, long shower, wringing all the blood and makeup from my face and the grime out of my hair. It felt nice, almost refreshing to feel the hot water on my skin.

Stepping out, I threw on a small amount of Mascara and slipping on my glasses, letting my hair fall down in its natural, curly state, reaching just below my mid-back. Amber had given me a chest of clothing, since all of mine was destroyed, and most of it was horribly-tight shirts. I finally pulled out a grey V-neck, slipping on some black high-waisted shorts and studded combat boots. I always admired the punk-ish style the Shadowhunters possessed.

Taking my Stele from the nightstand, I finally marched out of my room, wandering down the halls as my stomach grumbled. It took me about 15 minutes to finally locate the kitchen, taking a second to look into the large Institute Library as I passed.

I walked into the large kitchen, meant to feed hundreds of Shadowhunters at a time and yet was only occupied by one.

Harry's attention directed upward at me, a beautiful, glowing smile passing across his face. He was dressed in a soft, light-blue button down, the top three buttons unbuttoned to reveal the dark Marks, almost seeming to move across his chest. His legs were covered by his usual black skinny jeans, and torn up leather boots, but I was focusing in on his face.

His hair curled beautifully back over his head, forming a sort of quiff as small curls still hung around his face. His green eyes sparkled in the natural light, the golden flakes standing out like fireflies.

"Well, good afternoon." He said in his usual cool tone. I gave him a small smile, opening the fridge to see, as usual, nothing in it.

I sighed, closing the fridge and looking back at Harry, giving him a small wave before walking over into the next room.