Chapter 6 - Tomlinson

After Harry made me buy him all his food as a way to repay him for taking me to the place that got me the chance to spend time with Robin —he has mocked me about it the whole weekend—, I head to the lockers so we can go to the field and start the practice.

After I drove her to her room I haven’t seen Robin again, which is not weird at all considering that normally I only see her during the practices. Reason why I’m so excited now, because maybe she’ll be at the bleachers and she’ll recognise me and maybe she’ll even smile at me. It’d be the first time and I don’t know, it would confirm that I made some impression with her. And I’m so mesmerised by those thoughts that I totally forget Connor will also be in the practice.

“Hey Tomlinson,” I hear my name being called and it’s when I remember that the caveman is part of the team, and that I hit him in the bar on Friday. “You are not running away this time, are you?”

I stop because I know he’s approaching. I even stop putting on my uniform, taking a deep breath because I kind of know what’s coming.

“I didn’t run, I was just keeping her safe from you,” I say and when I look up I find him, many of our teammates around, waiting. He’s already in his uniform whereas I’m only in my shorts. “’Cos in case you didn’t notice, she didn’t want you near that night.”

“Ha!” He laughs. “You don’t believe that yourself, no one does. She was just playing hard to get. She’s still head over heels for me. Everyone is.” Connor looks around with a cocky grin, some teammates nod mumbling yeah. What a pack of idiots.

“That’s not what Robin told me, though.” I know I’m not making things better with this, but I just can’t stand that he thinks Robin would still have some feelings for him. He doesn’t even deserve her. “You just don’t know what a girl really wants.”

And in a second my back is pressed against the lockers, Connor’s left hand on my chest whilst his right is around my neck, gripping tightly.

“And you think you know? You? You’re nothing. I was gonna spare you for touching me on Friday, but you’re just an arrogant dick.” I can’t help it, I laugh at his words and that only infuriates him further, so I don’t even see the moment he retracts his right and then buries his fist in my stomach, knocking all the air out of my lungs.

Connor grabs me by the hair once he lets me go, just to keep me in the angle he needs to knee me in the ribs, over and over again. I can’t recover when he pushes me against the lockers once again to cross my face with his right, making me bite my cheek and cutting through the flesh. I feel the metallic taste of blood in my mouth.

“C’mon! Fight you little piece of shit!” He yells and I have to spit the blood in my mouth before I wipe it with my wrist and look at him.

I don’t say anything, I don’t even try to fight him, I just stare at him defiantly and that makes him so mad that he actually tackles me against the lockers, these falling with us. And he’s so angry that he starts hitting me over and over again in my sides, viciously, as if he couldn’t stop himself.

And he wouldn’t have stopped until I was unconscious if it hadn’t been because of the coach who just gets here when I’m starting to see black dots.

“What the fuck is going on here?!” the coach screams but Connor doesn’t react, he keeps hitting me. “You two, separate them now!” his voice booms around the lockers and Connors has to be literally dragged away from me. I stay there, on the lockers, coughing, getting rid of the excess of blood in my mouth. Everything hurts, my ribs are throbbing and I’m afraid to move. “Can someone explain this to me? NOW!”