Chapter Six: Never Judge A Boy By His Cover

Hola!! Wow, I can’t remember the last time I’ve had a writing spree like this. This story just keeps flowing from my mind, it’s amazing and great. Hopefully that won’t stop anytime soon. I probably won’t be able to write much this week till Friday…tomorrow night (Tues) I leave for the March for Life in DC, which is going to be AMAZING, such a good cause and so incredible to experience. I went last year and it was wow. Hopefully y’all have a chance to go sometime and will at least see it on the news. I’m probably skipping school Friday to catch up on sleep when I get back, so maybe I can write then. Well, enjoy this chapter and please vote and comment! :) means loads!

Gracias! <3 vb13321

Chapter Six

Never Judge A Boy By His Cover

Call me insane, but even as Patrick dashed back upstairs to check out this supposed crime scene and Jer rushed into the ballroom, I could only think of one place I wanted to go as I stood frozen in the entrance hall, my red heels in one hand. My entire body was numb except for my bladder, which was so painfully full that I slipped my shoes back on and walked out of the entrance hall in a daze.

A room off to the right displayed rows and rows of hangars where the butlers had hung up our coats when we arrived.  I don’t know why I went in there, except maybe that I didn’t want to watch Jer give orders to find Zach – didn’t want to see Molly’s face when she heard – didn’t want to believe. I ran my fingers through the coats, hundreds and hundreds of dollars that they were worth, and stopped when my eyes caught a set of doors at the back of the room.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I hurried forward and pulled open the wooden door with LADIES printed on it, stumbling into a stall. For a moment it felt good to focus on something extremely normal, trying to block out everything else as I stared at my reflection in the mirror as I washed my hands.

Jer was crazy. Why the hell would Zach steal a painting? Hadn’t he helped them save it from the Alley Cat just two short months ago?

But what if I was wrong?

I let the water run through my sudsy fingers, my unfamiliar mascara-ed eyes staring back at me. Everything else I had known was basically a lie, and it wasn’t like Zach and I had told each other our life stories…what an idiot I’d been, I realized bitterly, shutting the water off and grabbing paper towel roughly. The days he had visited me in the hospital last October had been the only times we’d really talked, and none of that had been serious. I didn’t know him.

“You let him kiss you,” I told my reflection fiercely, clenching the paper towel so tightly that it began to tear. “And he’s just really hot…”

Rationalizing barely held down the rising scream in my throat. I wanted to run outside for fresh air, the bathroom suddenly very small though in reality it was large and luxurious. Jer hadn’t even noticed I wasn’t right behind him – he didn’t even care, he was just worried about Zach getting away – Zach, who had seen that coming…?

A scream echoed through the air. I clapped my hands over my mouth, giving myself a reproachful look.

“Natalie, you are not a drama queen,” I said sternly, but then another scream sounded, and I realized with a flash of panic that neither had come from me but from further away. Outside the bathroom. In the direction of the ballroom.

I spun around to face the door, half-expecting someone to be there, but I was alone. But the scream was quickly joined by several more, by loud thumps and the sound of heavy doors slamming shut, by yelling voices and loud bangs that made me jump backwards into the sink. I gripped its stone edge, my eyes wide and my heart going a mile a minute, wondering what on earth could be happening.