Chapter 1

This can't be happening to me. I've worked so hard to start over and I just can't do it again. My life was upside down and I didn't know how to bring myself out of it again. I was born to a mother who didn't want me, so instead of sticking around, she just gave birth to me and left. I bounced from foster home to foster home until I was sixteen. I'd made one friend while in my last foster home. His name was Brandon and he was a foster kid just like me. We could relate and he didn't try to dominate me or push me around, so I figured I'd keep him close. Someone was always trying to make me do things, get me to do something I didn't want to do.. in every aspect of the word. Brandon was the one guy who never asked anything of me except to call him if I was in trouble and I did, a few times. We were a lot alike and he was the only person I trusted. We actually had the same birthday, he was just three years older than me.

When Brandon was kicked out of the foster home on his eighteenth birthday, I couldn't bare the thought of being somewhere that he wasn't, so I packed up and left with him. The state gave Brand and apartment, some job prospects, and a few hundred dollars and kicked him loose. When I left as well, no one came looking for me. Brandon was my only family and it would always stay that way, if I had a say so.

"Kimber, wake up." I felt Brand's hands shaking me awake and I slowly opened my eyes, seeing his face in front of mine. "Good morning Brand." I smiled at him and he winked back at me, shooting me a smirk too. "You better get up and get going, you're going to be late if you don't get up now." He moved a piece of hair out of my face and I smiled harder. "Ok, ok. I'm up."

Brandon and I still lived together, in a different apartment but we still lived in a one bedroom apartment. I'd had some really terrible things happen to me when I was growing up and sleeping alone wasn't an option for me. When Brand and I first moved in together, we got two beds and shared the bedroom, letting me have my space.. being a girl and all. But I'd wake up every night crying, screaming, and whimpering for him. He was seriously the best because every day since then, I slept in bed, cuddled up to him. Brand never tried anything on me. He always respected my space and treated me like a person. I didn't like people to touch me and when I thought back on my life, he was the only one whose touch I didn't shy away from. It had been six years since Brand and I first moved in together and I was starting to notice things about him that were changing. When I would wake up in the morning, he was never in bed with me anymore. Brandon wouldn't look me in the eye lately, unless I forced him to. We still laughed and played around, but there was this tension starting to build. I knew we needed to have a conversation, but I was too selfish and scare to start it. I was afraid he was going to tell me he'd wasted enough time and energy on me; that he wanted a regular life. I was scared he would leave me and I wasn't ready for him to go. I loved Brandon, I had for years but I couldn't ruin my relationship with the only family I had.

I noticed that in the middle of my inner thoughts, Brand hadn't left our bed. He had watched me the whole time and when I came back to it, he was watching me with a strange look on his face. "Where did you go just a second ago?" Brand's voice was kind of concerned and hearing the emotion in his voice made my stomach flip with happiness. "I, uh. Well.. I was just thinking about us all these years and.." Before I could finish, Brandon was out of bed, heading towards the bedroom door. "Brand?" Me saying his name made him stop but not turn around. "What's wrong?" I asked him, sitting up in bed. He was going to tell me the one thing that would break me, I knew it. "I can't do this anymore Kimber." Before he could finish I cut him off and responded with, "I'll get my stuff and leave. I'm sorry I troubled you for so long. Please just give me until tonight, since I have to go to work." I didn't look at his face and as soon as I was done speaking, I walked out of our bedroom towards the bathroom. "Kimber, that's not.." I help up my hand to stop him, stopping my walking but not turning to face him. Tears were pouring down my face and I just couldn't let him see how badly his words hurt me. "I'm sorry Brandon. I've been selfish all these years, keeping you from having a normal life. I'll just pack a bag and take it to work with me. I'm sorry." I quickly went into the bathroom, closing the door quickly. I leaned against it and fell to the floor, pulling my knees to my chest and crying into them.