08 | LIFE-THREATENING MISTAKES

It was then the next morning when Zoe awoke from her sleepless night. There had been a lurking pounding in her head that had prevented the little girl from falling into a deep sleep. Waking every hour to a new thump in her head was not pleasant.

Which was why Zoe had managed to stay in bed until the very moment her mother was leaving, first to drop Bella off at school, then to spend her day at the towns vet, working. Zoe was famous in her house for being able to always beat the sun up, no matter what day. Except today it seemed.

Mari nocked lightly on Zoe's door before immediately entering the room. Sometimes, Zoe wondered why her mother even knocked when she never left enough time to respond before barging in anyway.

"Zoe? You awake?" Mari whispered as she pattered across the twin's room.

Zoe moaned but said nothing. She was already annoyed at Bella for being unconditionally loud and tormenting during her habitual morning routine. Then Leon and Luca had to make their usual clashing of sports equipment as they searched the garage for the correct gear for that day's sport at collage. Zoe had never minded it in the past – she was awake and ready by that time – but today, with a splitting head, it was torture.

Mari frowned at her unresponsive daughter. "You alright, baby?" Mari sat on her daughters bed and brushed Zoe's hair out of her eyes.

"Yeah," Zoe barely got out. She was so exhausted from her bad night that her eyes didn't stay open for long.

"Your normally up and nagging Bella by now. What's wrong?" Mari was starting to get concerned about Zoe's behaviour. It wasn't like her to sleep in.

Mari felt Zoe's forehead for a temperature, then noticed her pale face. "Sweetheart, I think I might stay home today," she said gently. "You don't look well, baby."

Zoe pried her eyes open as far as they would go. "No! Mum," she whined. "You promised I could stay by myself. . . You promised!"

Mari sighed. She hated how old her daughter was getting. "Yes, I know I promised, but we'll just do it another day, when you feel better."

"No!" Zoe persisted. "Today! You said today." Zoe was so desperate to prove to her family that she could do something.

Mari wasn't at all convinced by her daughter. "I feel fine, mum! I swear! There was just a . . . a noise . . . outside my window that kept me up all night. I'm fine mummy, please. I'm just tired."

Mari wanted to be unforgiving. She didn't want to leave her youngest home alone. She was to young and to innocent and to naïve. But she couldn't smother her for much longer, not if Mari wanted to give Zoe the best chance of a normal life.

However, before Mari could even squeeze out any of the horrid agreeing words, Bella burst through the door in her blue uniform and fresh piggy tails.

"Zoe," she drawled. "Bye. I'm going to school." Bella jumped on Zoe's bed with her, right in front of where her mother sat.

Zoe kicked viciously at were Bella was sitting. "Get off! Get off my bed!"

"Bella," Mari spoke sternly. "Wait for me in the kitchen."

Bella poked her tongue out at Zoe, but abided by her mother. Zoe poked her tongue right back.

Mari shook her head. "You're not that sick if you can still fight with your sister."

"She's like a pest," Zoe muttered once she left.

"Zoe, enough." Now Mari was getting stern with the other twin. "Everyone's already at work, okay. There's lunch already made in the fridge and don't use the stove. If you have any problems, you call me. If your finding it hard to breath, you call me immediately, Zoe. Do you understand? It's very import I know, sweetheart."