Parts of Speech: Conjuction

Conjunctions are little words like and, but, and or. They're used to connect concepts, clauses, or parts of sentences.

I was going to see a movie, but I've changed my mind.

She couldn't decide if she wanted the lemon tea or the rose hip tea.

KINDS OF CONJUNCTION

The coordinating conjunctions are conjunctions that join two independent clauses, or two nouns, or two verbs, etc. You can remember the coordinating conjunctions with the acronym FANBOYS.

For

And

Nor

But

Or

Yet

So

Run and hide!

The coordinating conjunction connects the two verbs.

We didn't have much money, but we were happy.

Here are two contrasting states of being: not having much money, and being happy.

We didn't have much money or much food.

I had chocolate cake, and Michael had carrot cake.

Note the commas before the coordinating conjunctions which separate two independent clauses.

Correlative conjunctions are pairs of conjunctions that work together. Some examples are either/or, neither/nor and not only/but.

Not only am I finished studying for English, but I'm also finished my history essay.

I am finished both my English essay and my history essay.

Make sure that you use both conjunctions when writing. Sometimes when we speak, we get a little lazy; don't leave a clause unfinished or else you'll have a problem with faulty parallelism.

You could use either.

This is alright for conversation because you'll have something in front of you to point to, giving you a visual clue.

You could use either the spoon.

This is an unfinished sentence; there is a problem with faulty parallelism here.

You could use either the spoon or the fork.

This sentence is perfect because it lists both things to be used.

Subordinating conjunctions show a relationship between an independent and a dependent clause; some of the relationships can be cause-and-effect, and contrast. Some examples of subordinating conjunctions are because, since, as, although, though, while, and whereas.

I can stay out until the clock strikes twelve.

Here, the subordinating conjunction is connecting the two ideas: I can stay out and the clock strikes twelve.

He can leave the house as long as he has cleaned his room.

The teacher said that he was amazingly creative.

The subordinating conjunction doesn't need to go in the middle of the sentence. It must be part of the dependent clause, but it doesn't matter whether the clause is the first or second on in the sentence.

Before he leaves, make sure his room is clean.

If the dependent clause comes first, you'll need a comma; if the independent clause comes first, you probably won't need a comma.

I drank a glass of water because I was thirsty.

Because I was thirsty, I drank a glass of water.

When she asked why I wanted a glass of water, I could only answer "Because", because I was so thirsty.

I've used a comma in this sentence only to separate the repeated because; this makes it clearer to the reader.

CONJUNCTION LIST

Coordinating Conjunctions

for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so

Correlative Conjunctions

both/and, either/or, neither/nor, not only/but, whether/or

Some Subordinating Conjunctions

after, although, as, as if, as long as, as much as, as soon as, as though, because, before, by the time, even if, even though, if, in order that, in case, in the event that, inasmuch, just in case, lest , now that, once, only, only if, provided that, since, so, supposing, that, than, that, though, till (or 'til), unless, until, when, whenever, where, whereas, wherever, whether or not, while