Chapter Three: Return

Ch. Three: Return

I flinched. Everything was in slow motion. I didn’t have time to react, only time to brace myself of the sudden impact. I closed my eyes, ready.

“How troublesome.” Ceil grumbled. I opened my eyes. Sebastian towered over the boy clutching the weapon with his right hand. “Sebastian, you never allow me any fun.”

“She is a lady.” He stated. “Forgive me, my lord, but what kind of butler would I be if I allowed such a thing?”

My eyes widened at the connection. He was a butler. It explained his clothes and mannerisms, but not the eerie feeling in the pit of my stomach every time he was around. He wasn’t of this world. That much I was certain of.

“What kind of a butler are you, Sebastian?” Ciel pouted. “You disobeyed an order.”

“My apologies.” He bowed. “But I do not recall you ordering me to stand aside while you abused such a lovely flower.”

I wrinkled my nose. “I am no flower.” I hissed. “And I shall not be treated as such.”

“I see.”

I rolled my eyes tugging at the hem of my dress. I was free, but where did that leave me?

Homeless.

Clueless.

Alone.

I puffed out steam letting my breath swirl into the cool midnight air. Sebastian stared at me curiously.

“Come along.” Ciel said. “We’re late.”

“Master.” Ciel froze. “What shall we do with this lady?”

“Why do you suddenly care?” He spat. “She has her freedom. Let her be.”

“What have I done to upset you?” I asked. “After so many years you’re just going to leave me? Aren’t you curious? Do you not question me? Do you not believe I am who I say I am? You reacted out of aggression, a powerful emotion. Are you willing to just leave it all behind?”

Where were the words coming from? Me? What was I expecting Ciel to do? Turn around and smile at me, welcome me with open arms and not question my existence? I knew if I were in the same situation I’d be curious. I’d ask a thousand questions. I’d be hurt and confused, just wanting an explanation. We were close. I couldn’t deny that. I’d tried looking for him after I escaped, but he had vanished. Everyone assumed he was dead, including me.

Had he assumed I was dead as well?

I stared at my feet.

My shoes offered no protection from the sludge of the ally.

I shivered.

 “You’re right.” I froze. Even with his back to me, I could feel the intensity of his stare. “You asked why I spared you and it’s simply because of your innocence. I could see you were pure but now I’m questioning it. How did you know about Azura? Is it money you’re after? You’re not her. You look nothing like her.”

I pursed my lips. My hair was a powdery blond with small copper undertones. My naturally tanned skin was white as well from being locked away for so long. I could see why he was confused, Michael had transformed me for his twisted pleasure. I wanted to be hurt he didn’t recognize me, but I couldn’t locate the emotion. I felt pity instead. I had changed. I was older now, and so was he. It wasn’t money I wanted. I hadn’t done my research. I was who I said I was. I was Azura.

“Master.” Sebastian split his gaze between us. “It’s cold. Would you like me to fetch the carriage?”

“That won’t be necessary.” He sighed. “I’d like to walk.”