thirty-eight

jack's pov

i took the keys out of savannah's bag as she leant against the wall and could barely keep her eyes open. i quickly unlocked the front door and switched on the light, before helping her up by her waist and entering the house.

"why are we here? the night wasn't over!" she loudly complained. "i-i think we have some hennessy in the kitchen, actually".

i pulled her back from trying to move any further, "well, the night is over for you, so you need to sleep".

i picked her up into my arms and carried her into her room, where i settled her onto the double bed.

scanned my eyes around, it immediately felt weird to be back in here because it hasn't changed one bit after all these months.

i watched as savannah weakly tried to take off the heels on her feet, but she continued to fail so i knelt down and resulted into helping her.

"i'm going to go and get you a glass of water, you'll thank me in the morning" i informed, standing up right and turning to leave.

"wait...wait, i can't sleep in a dress" she told with her words still slurring, but they were now much softer and tired. "i need to change".

she stood up on her two feet, but any other movement seemed to cause her to stumble forward. i quickly helped her back onto the bed and handed her the messily folded shirt from beneath the pillows

finally, i turned around so that i could head to the kitchen.

"wait" savannah stopped me again with a groan. "i can't reach the zip".

i scratched the back of my head, keeping quite hesitant before eventually giving in to help.

she turned around and i moved her long hair to one side, then started to pull down the zip of her black dress.

sudden flashbacks of one of our last nights together in la came back to me - we came back from shopping, savannah asked me to help her with the zip and i couldn't seem to resist her in that white dress that she bought.

i finally reached the bottom of the zip and shook off my thoughts as she began pushing the straps down.

soon, she stood in just her underwear until i grabbed that messily folded shirt and opened it up neatly.

i did a small double take and realised that it was one of my old shirts. my shoulders relaxed, as i could hardly believe that she was still wearing it or even had it.

"this is my shirt, i've been looking for it" i spoke.

savannah shrugged carelessly, "you can have it back".

"no, i know that it's your favourite. i'm just surprised that you wear it".

she shrugged again, still seated in no clothing, "well, when you miss someone, what do you expect?".

"you miss me?".

she nodded her head, "i miss you, all the fucking time. but it's stupid, right? because my gullible self had to ruin everything".

at that moment, i watched as savannah's drunken behaviour took a different turn as tears slowly started to escape her eyes.

"i lost the only guy that i've ever been in love with. i lost my best friend and now look at me, i'm not exactly coping, am i?" she cried to me. "but with max, i never meant...i never meant for things to get that far".