Chapter 3

Hey, if you're reading this please let my know what you think comments and votes are much appreciated xxx

I stood in front of my floor length mirror trying to decide whether I looked too pale to be wearing denim shorts and a floaty floral vest top. The combination suited me however I knew my sun deprived pale skin would scream 'new girl' to everyone at my new school.

New school. New school. My brain chanted making me start to pace across the room, I was incredibly nervous for my first day at Panama high.

I took deep breaths and reminded myself that I had Ally, I hadn't known her long enough to call her a friend but at least I knew one friendly face. Though I really hoped we could be friends, she had seemed really cheerful and friendly last night. She was the kind of person I needed in my life.

With a smile I returned to my attention to the mirror. My pale skin would have to look stupid against the delicious tanned skin of the locals, it was way too hot to even consider jeans. I checked my make up again which was minimal with the exception of my trademark sweep of eyeliner, I had to admit I didn't look too bad. I ruffled up my dyed, wavy auburn hair in one last attempt to give it some volume- my long locks didn't seem to cope well with the heat- then grabbed my bag and rushed out of the house before I could pick something wrong with how I looked or what I was wearing.

On most days I was hardly the most confident person in the world. In fact I had very little confidence at all. Despite my slender petite frame, I always managed to find something I wasn't quite happy with.

Today I needed every ounce of confidence I could get.

----

"Hey Grace," a familiar voice cheered as I walked through the gates and into the parking lot. Miraculously I had managed to find my new school using the map Paul had left for me. It had only been a fifteen minute walk and I already thought I was melting.

"Ally!" I cheered excitedly as I turned towards her not quite sure why I seemed so happy to see this almost stranger.

"Grace!" She mimicked, "Why the excitement? It's the first day back after summer!"

"I guess it's just exciting to actually know someone already," I smiled falling into step with her. She wore a bright summery dress, the colour reminded me of the ocean and managed to some how bring out her golden tan. Oh god I bet I looked so pale next to her.

"Awh, I hated being the new kid when I moved here from California. I was so worried about not knowing anyone at my old school- I was only ten," she complained, "Which is why I suggested meeting you this morning, it's always a hundred times easier when you know someone."

"Yeah it really is," I grinned.

"You'll need to go to the reception, won't you?" She asked thankfully reminding me I needed to go there for my schedule.

"Yeah, urm where is it?" I wondered suddenly feeling scared and lost, there was no way I'd manage to find my way around.

"Don't worry Grace, you've got your own personal tour guide," she pointed to herself.

I could have hugged her!

"Thank you, thank you!" I sang instead bouncing lightly on my tippy toes. I'm sure I looked like a right idiot.

"You're welcome, now come on the first class starts in ten minutes!" She laughed dragging me to reception and that was how I officially made my first friend at Panama High.

-----

"Grace Williams, Grace Williams," the receptionist chanted as she looked for my file. I stood tapping my foot, I felt slightly nervous knowing in a few minutes I would have to face my first class here.