Chapter 3 ~ Blur

The next two days went by in a blur.

It was like Bluestar was in a trance - she never really saw or heard or thought properly. Clan life continued to go on around her, but she was stuck in one moment - the first time she properly saw Oakstar.

She'd been out on patrol with Sunstar, Lionheart, One-eye, and Swiftbreeze, which caught some RiverClan warriors sunning themselves on Sunningrocks. Lionheart had yowled a challenge, and Oakstar had come to investigate. He'd padded slowly along the scent markers, glancing at the patrol through the trees. Bluestar had hissed at him. She remembered how she was drawn into his gaze as his eyes gleamed; how his whiskers twitched as she called him a furball. She had no idea that one day, they would fall in love. She didn't know why her brain chose to go back to that moment - maybe because it was the beginning of their story. 

The patrols hunted and scouted, she gave announcements and orders, but she never really lived through any of it.

On the third day, Bluestar was finally jolted back to reality. Waking up that morning was like opening her eyes for the first time - everything looked sharper and brighter than usual. Maybe because I'm going to see him today. She groomed herself thoroughly - she didn't want RiverClan's warriors to think ThunderClan's leader was unkempt. Despite that, there was also a cloud of dread hanging over her head. A cloud that whispered to her, If you show any sign of affection; any sign of a relationship, all of your avoidance will have gone to waste. Everyone will find out the truth about you, and Mistyfoot and Stonefur. She and Oakstar had never spoken to one another since the day she gave him their kits, fearing that some cat might make the connection between Bluestar's lost kits and two strays arriving in RiverClan.  But now they had. A sudden jolt of fear coursed through her body. What if some cat had seen them meeting at Fourtrees?

"Bluestar?"

Bluestar's head snapped up, eyes wide. She forced herself to relax as she saw Redtail standing at the entrance to her den. Great StarClan, what's wrong with me? "Yes?"

"The warriors are in the clearing. They're waiting for you to choose who will accompany you to formally welcome Oakstar as leader."

Bluestar gave a brisk nod and rose to her paws. "Let them know I'll come and choose now."

Redtail nodded, turned, and bounded down the rocks. As Bluestar moved towards the entrance of her den, her legs began shaking slightly. This was important - she needed to choose carefully, because not only would RiverClan's warriors judge her for her choice, Oakstar would, too. If she brought strong warriors, would they think she was preparing for a fight? If she brought warriors who were less likely to pick a fight, would they think ThunderClan was weak?

She moved carefully down the rocks, the feeling of dread in her stomach growing stronger and stronger; seeming to weigh down her every step as she moved from her den to the clearing. The ThunderClan warriors patiently waited as she came to a halt in front of them. "Today, I will take a patrol to formally welcome Oakstar as leader," she announced. Hopefully her voice didn't sound shaky. As she slowly moved her gaze across the cats sitting in front of her, her mind suddenly went back to that fateful patrol.

And she had an idea. A possibly stupid idea, but an idea nonetheless.

"Lionheart and One-eye." Eyes widened and clamours of protest rose from the cats gathered in front of her as she said the last warrior's name.

"B-Bluestar!"

"Did I just hear you right?"

"You can't ask an elder to join you on a patrol!"

Amongst the clamour of tails and voices, Bluestar stood strong, head raised high. She raised her tail for silence, looking towards the elders who were sitting just outside their den. Shock was etched into One-eye's features. As the she-cat's eyes met, Bluestar desperately tried to communicate to her that she didn't just want her on this patrol - she needed her. After a few heartbeats, One-eye conceded, nodding and rising to her paws. "I'll go," she rasped. As the elderly she-cat padded across the clearing; wincing with every step, the warriors watched in shocked silence. Lionheart warily padded forward. His expression clearly told Bluestar he was confused and shocked, too. Despite this, Bluestar patiently waited for One-eye to join them. Once she had, Bluestar turned to her Clan and called, "We will be back soon," before turning to Lionheart. "Help One-eye through the forest if she needs," she told him softly. Letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding, the four cats began moving towards the camp entrance.