Chapter Two ~ Unsettled

a/n: Hey guys! Sorry this chapter took so long! I had writer's block for a while and didn't know what to write, but I think this story is finally going to have some direction! Also, just a note; each chapter will alternate between Bluestar and Oakstar's pov's. This may vary sometimes, but that's generally going to be the structure. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy this chapter! :)

Oakstar watched as Bluestar raced up the slope, leaving him behind. Again. He sighed, closing his eyes. Their romance had never been as easy as he'd wanted it to be. He still couldn't understand why she'd given him their kits all those moons ago, in the depths of one of the worst blizzards the forest had ever suffered. Mistyfoot and Stonefur had grown into fine warriors, loyal only to RiverClan.

Completely unlike their father.

He quickly padded through the forest through his territory, contemplating their conversation. They had not spoken for many, many moons, and yet, it seemed that their feelings were still just as strong as they had been before. He rolled in some ferns to cover up Bluestar's scent. No cat should know what he had done.

As he entered the camp, his deputy, Leopardfur, came bounding across the camp, tail bristling. Alarmed, Oakstar padded forward. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Where have you been?" she demanded. "You just left the camp without telling any cat! You can't -" She broke off as Oakstar bushed out his tail and drew his lips back in the beginnings of a snarl. "Do not forget your place in this Clan, Leopardfur." He held his head high. "I made you deputy because I believed you and I would be able to work together to lead our Clan well, not to be challenged. Do you understand?" 

Oakstar could see the hairs on Leopardfur's pelt still bristling, but she nodded curtly. "The patrols returned a few moments ago," she told him, gesturing to the fresh-kill pile, which was covered in fish. Oakstar felt pleased. "Is all well on the borders?" he asked.

"There haven't been any reports of trespassing or prey-stealing, so I'm assuming yes," Leopardfur replied. "Should we send out more this afternoon?"

Oakstar paused, thinking. Would ThunderClan patrols be going out in the afternoon? What am I thinking? Shaking himself, he replied, "Yes, of course. Make sure to choose cats who didn't go this morning."

Leopardfur nodded and started to pad away, beckoning with her tail for him to follow her. They halted beside the warriors' den. "According to some of our cats, the den's roof has been damaged," she told him.

Oakstar was barely listening; his thoughts were filled with his reunion with Bluestar.

"Oakstar?"

He jumped and shook himself before looking at his deputy, forcing his fur to lie flat. "Yes, um . . ."

Leopardfur sighed, and, rolling her eyes, she repeated what she'd said. Oakstar nodded, trying to regain control. I can't let myself be distracted from my Clan! "Get some of the warriors to rebuild it," he told her.

Leopardfur nodded, tail weaving. "Okay. Should they start now?"

Oakstar shrugged. "As soon as you can, I suppose." As his deputy began moving towards some warriors who were basking on the rock, Oakstar called, "And, Leopardfur?"

His deputy turned her head, amber eyes expectant.

"We need to talk. Meet me in my den once you're done sorting out the patrols and the den leakage."

Leopardfur's eyes narrowed slightly, head tilted. He knew she was inwardly questioning his reasons. After a few heartbeats, she nodded. "Alright, Oakstar," she mewed cooly. He watched as she moved to the middle of the camp, calling for the warriors to join her.