Summer in North Carolina (Hayes Grier)

Chapter 1 (Devyn's POV)

"Devyn! Last time I tell you! Point your toes or you're off the team!"
Dang. She's serious this time. I point my toes harder than I ever have.

"That's better. Finish strong!" the music stops and my group hits our final pose.

"Okay girls, this weekend is Nationals. Practice until your feet bleed. We need the Double Platinum. We need to defeat every team thrown at us," we all form a circle around the strict dance teacher.

"Who are we?" Miss Jayme screams.

"AVDC!" we yell in response.

"Class dismissed."

I moped my way out of the sweaty studio and grab my bag from the locker room. I'm done with dance for the night so I head out to the parking lot where my mom was waiting for me.  I hop into her car and we drive home.

"Devyn, I need to talk to you," I look up to my mom confused.

"Honey, this summer I have to take a job in Idaho."

"What? Idaho! That's all the way across the country!"

"Devyn, I can't take you with me."

"Mom, so what you mean is that you're going to Idaho for the summer and not taking me with you? Why can't I go with?"

"Devyn, I have to live in a hotel room. We don't know anyone in Idaho, and you'd be alone all day."

"So I'm staying here all summer by myself?"

"Well, not exactly. You're going to North Carolina with your cousin Taylor."

"Taylor? North Carolina? He doesn't even live in North Carolina!"

"Yes, but he has friends there he is spending the summer with. It's all settled."

"Mom, I can't believe you're sending me off with a cousin I barely see to go live across the country in a place I've never been before."

"You will be fine. I think you might have an adventure."

A week later

"Devyn, be good, I'll miss you so much," my mom hugs me and hands me an envelope, "500$ for emergencies. You have money for other things. Emergency only."

I hug her one last time and Taylor pulls out of the driveway.

"So, Devyn, are you excited for this summer?" he asks.

"I guess," I pull out my phone and text my best friend, Rebeckah.

To: Becka<3

Kill me now.

"Who ya texting?" Taylor asks.

"Rebeckah."

"Oh, cool."

"Devyn, I know you don't want to come to North Carolina with me this summer but I think we'll have fun. We have a lot planed and you'll have a blast. Don't worry."

"Okay."

He turns up the radio to break the awkwardness.

"Tay? Do you think there will be a place where I can dance?" I ask.

"I'm sure we could find a place," he changes the radio station and glances over to me, "By the way, how did Nationals go?"

"My solo got second overall, my trio got first overall, my small group got Platinum, and my large group got Double Platinum," he gave me a weird look, "Double Platinum is one of the best awards you can get."