Surviving the Hunt: Chapter I - Questions?

Dedicated to ElleChanter for the AWESOME book cover she made!!! Thanks! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter I - Questions?

WALKING WITH MY FRIEND, Livia, I  spotted my brother and his friends at the farthest table from the school.

"Hey, Livia, let's go sit with my brother."

"Why? We have our usual table," she whined. She never really liked my brother and his friends. She considered them annoying with their continuous discussions about a game. Don't get me wrong, Livia is pretty nice but just gets really impatient and never wants to hold a long conversation since she's too nice to ever end it first. She thinks it's rude to do so. She had long, curly, honey blond hair that reached the bottom of her back and sparkling grey eyes to match.

Livia and I have been friends since forever. So we grew up together and thought of each other as sisters. "Well, if you haven't noticed, it's been taken over by the snobs and all the empty tables are bad spots to eat at. Our only last resort is them," I answered her, as I pointed over to my brother. She sighed in annoyance, but followed me anyway.

Livia and I sat across from each other on the long rectangular table. Each table could be occupied by eight people, so it didn't feel uncomfortable or squishy since there were only six people sitting here to begin with.

There was my brother, Sean. We didn't look anything alike. He was my step brother after all. Sure we were blood related, only because we have the same mothers, but we had different fathers. We both looked like our own fathers. He had light brown hair while I had my layered black hair going midway to my back, he had grayish blue eyes, I had my dark blue ones, and lastly he was really tall compared to me. I got my height from my mom so I was about an inch or two taller than her and she's only 5'1".

Then, there was Drew. My brother's best friend and right hand man. He was also there since childhood. He had dark black hair and brown eyes. To me, he was like my second most annoying brother. Next, we have the twins, Ryan and Evan. They are identical. They are both redheads and they both had green eyes. Only differences were that Evan was shorter and smarter, and Ryan liked his hair long. Both of their parents are totally loaded. The fifth is Flick. He had curly brown hair with slight blond tinge to them. He was the most energetic one out of all of them. There wasn't a single day where he thought he shouldn't do anything crazy. Last but not least, there was Pierce. He had spiked up blond hair and dark grey eyes that always seemed clouded over. He barely talked, but when he did it was only when he wanted to. I don't really know how we became friends but we all just did somehow.

I averted my eyes from them and stared out into the skies, playing with my food as I did. The sky was bright blue and haphazardly blinding from the sun. I squinted as I looked above the houses across the street. Everyday was the same. No difference at all unless you count the weather, that is. Livia seemed as bored as I did or she just didn't want to make a chain reaction of conversations just from one word.

I was about to say something to her, to liven things up, until I heard the two words that came out of Drew's mouth, ". . . The Hunt. . ."

Hmm . . .where have I heard that before? Suddenly it clicked. Those two words  were the same exact ones that came out of my brother's mouth for the past few weeks. Also, one time I asked to borrow his laptop one day since mine broke down. I bookmarked something before and went to check the bookmarks. You would not believe what he has saved in that thing. Most of them were things related to something called 'The Hunt'. I remember myself asking him one day what 'The Hunt' was but somewhere along the explanation, I spaced out. The only thing I got was that it was a game.