Entry 1: Internal Memorandum - 01/28

Internal Memorandum.

Date: 28 Jan 2011.

Folio No. : 13/159/08

To: Sanders, Z; Paranormal Div.

Subject: Assignment Summary

On 27th August 2010, a strange apparition of a block of flats in a previously uninhabited section of a small town named Madison led to a series of unreleased reports which collectively came to be known as the Pine Street Incident. Though the investigation of such matters falls within your Division's jurisdiction, this case was assigned to an obscure group of covert operatives known as the Esoteric Division. After two months and four days, the apparition was observed to have imploded, leaving a round area of void land in its original geographical location, as seen from satellite imagery.

All subsequent efforts made to access the location for further studies have proved futile. Our veteran field operatives were 'spooked' as soon as they arrived within proximity of the site and many have been reported A.W.O.L. Every technological means of gathering intelligence has either failed to deliver useful data or has been sabotaged by unknown methods. Our only leads currently rest with the Esoteric Division, which - due to the nature of their operations - is protected from indictment.

You are to conduct an official inquiry with a view to reconstructing the events on Pine Street, using the Esoterics as key witnesses. We have requested that their records be made available to you for the duration of this investigation. Any other resources you may require to facilitate your assignment would be supplied or funded directly by our unit. All findings are to be documented and submitted for review by the end of each week to keep us abreast with your progress.

Good luck.

Allen, E.