Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

      Under normal circumstances, Sheradin would be happy that there are no rehearsals on Friday, which means she could relax, but since this is the one Friday where Cameron had invited her to his game everything is different. So when Lacey picked her up that morning all she had been hearing is nonstop advice, and the constant reminders of her and Amy being there with Sheradin in case she needs their help.

     “Don’t you have to be all cheerleading and shit?” Sheradin asked at one point as Lacey stopped at a red light.

     “I know, but that doesn’t mean I can’t text you in between cheers.” Lacey replied, waggling her eyebrows suggestively.

     Sheradin giggled nervously. “Are you sure?”

     Lacey rolled her eyes. “I always keep my phone in my bra. That’s what every girl does whenever they can’t bring a purse.”

     Sheradin did her best not to gawk on that little known fact. She just couldn’t imagine putting her phone inside her bra, and having it press against her small breasts. Her iPhone would be the only thing on her chest that would stand out if she would attempt it.

     Once both girls arrived at Smithson Valley, Amy was quick to confirm her plans for tonight to help Sheradin as best she could. 

     “Don’t worry Sher,” Amy said during lunch period, “I’ll be by your side. And if Katie shows up and tries to stop you I’ll deal with her.”

     Sheradin didn’t bother to ask how Amy will “deal with her.” For all she knew, Amy isn’t the violent type, and is only know for making idle threats. Whatever she has up her sleeve, Sheradin didn’t bother to ask.   

***

     Once the final bell rang, instead of heading to the auditorium—for the rehearsal schedule didn’t include rehearsals on Fridays—the three girls immediately assembled at a burger joint called Whataburger. There, they divulged themselves with the restaurant’s signature burger, and talked. Something they haven’t done in a while, what with all the chaos with Erika’s sudden disappearance and death sidetracking not only them but the entire production as well.

     “Amy, who do you think Mr. Watson will choose to replace Erika?” Sheradin asked casually after taking a sip of her soda.

     “Yeah, I mean, you’re the only person who works closely with him. You of all people must have some clue.” Lacey chimed in eagerly.

     Sheradin watched as Amy shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know,” she began hesitantly, “I mean, of course I work closely with him, but that doesn’t mean that I know what’s going on in his mind.” She paused, and began to nibble on a French fry. Before Sheradin and Lacey could sigh with disappointment, Amy quickly added, “However, I think that he might pick one of the girls in the ensemble. Which could be better than having another audition process.”

     “True.” Lacey murmured.

     “Also, he told me that he’d make the announcement by Monday.” Amy quickly added.

     “Do you know who he might consider?” Sheradin asked moments later, curiosity marred her voice before taking a bite of her burger.

     “I don’t know.” Amy admitted glumly. “Though if I had to guess, he’d probably pick either Katie, one of you, or Tanya Skovorodina.”

     “Who’s that?” Lacey asked, her head cocked to the side as she tried to place the name with a face. 

     “Um…” Amy paused briefly. “Oh, last year she played Domina in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.”