Hola Espana!

Elle,

Saturday 4th October

Some ridiculous hour, like 2am or something

On the way to the airport

I’m squashed in the back of my Dad’s Bentley next to Luce, who is squashed next to Dozy Rose, who luckily is asleep. Mum and Dad are in the front driving. Luce’s parents are in the car behind with my aunt and uncle and Claudia. Luce and I refused to travel in the same car as Chlamydia so we got the other short straw, my parents and Luce’s Nan. In fact all the straws were pretty short. For some reason we are wide awake, despite the fact that it’s the sort of time that only owls and prostitutes would be sane. Not that either of those beings are really, very sane.

15 minutes later

We eventually pull into the airport. We send all our luggage off and whiz through security surprisingly quickly, due to the fact we are flying off-peak season I suppose. The joys of having money.

10 minutes later

Luce and I wander around the stores but there is only so much duty free chocolate you can buy, and I suppose it is wrong to start buying presents for the boys already? Bearing in mind the last time we saw them was about 12 hours ago.

We grab a few magazines from WHSmiths for holiday reading and I grab a bottle of water and some wine gums, mmm nutritious breakfast. Luce goes for the more normal option, a croissant and a cup of coffee. Okay, she’s healthy, but how can she eat this early. It’s clear to say that I’m not a  morning person. If I eat anything to heavy it’ll end with me throwing up with excitement. Yes, I’m that pathetic, I throw up when I get excited. Ewww.

5 minutes later

I’m lying half asleep on the massage chair in the departure lounge. People watching. But all I can see are old people. That’s off-peak season for you.

1 minute later

Oh I lied. Here is a business man. And he is Australian. And he is yapping away on his phone in his queer Australian accent. About kookaburras or koalas or kangaroos or something. Woah, everything in the Australian-y language starts with ‘k’.

I’m tired.

2 minutes later

Luce is chatting to someone. God knows who. Probably herself. The adults and Claudia are making last minute toilet stops and stocking up on sun cream and all that malarkey.

10 minutes later

Eventually the overhead tanoy calls our flight “Flight BA 136 to Alicante, Spain, first class now boarding” the metallic voice booms.

       “That’s us Luce!” I say. She nods.

We heave ourselves up, sling our bags over our shoulders and make our way over to where the rest of our loon-ish family are standing.