Chapter eight.

Song of the chapter: Little Things - One Direction.

Layla's p.o.v

"Crap, I forgot the garage door opener on the counter. Just pull up on the curb." I instructed Liam as we approached the house.

"Will do. Why did you have the garage door opener in the kitchen anyways? Isn't the point to have it in your car so you can, you know, open the garage." He chuckled as he pulled the car to a stop and pushed the gear shift into park.

"Yes." I laughed, playfully punching him in the shoulder. "That's the thing with technology though, it eventually needs a fresh set of batteries, and I forgot to bring it back to the car." We were just returning from my birthday weekend, feeling extremely refreshed, relaxed, and both sporting a noticeable tan, which was a huge accomplishment for me.

"I know you were wanting to shower, so if you want to head on in I'll get our bags." Liam said, gesturing me towards the house.

"You're amazing." I grinned, poking him in the cheek slightly.

"I know I am." He shot back, a playful smirk tugging at his lips.

"You're too cocky for your own good." I scoffed, tugging myself out of the car.

"You would know." He said, taking me by surprise.

"Liam!" I shouted, tossing my wallet at him, which he easily dodged, before leaning down to scoop it up off the ground.

"What can I say?" He shrugged, moving to the trunk of the car.

I couldn't help but laugh as I walked into the house, carrying only the key to the front door. I unlocked it swiftly, placing the key on the entry table, and kicking my shoes off beside the rug. I took the stairs as quickly as my legs would allow, needing to feel the warm shower water pelting down onto my exhausted body.

I passed Reese's door, feeling the familiar sting that struck me seemingly every time I did so. I paused briefly, sighing as I continued into my own room, shutting the door behind me. I sifted through my dresser pulling out a pair of pajama shorts, a long sleeve tee, a pair of underwear, and a sports bra. I was going for maximum comfort after the decently long car ride, I was fatigued, to say the least.

I carried the clothes into the bathroom, sitting them on the sink before pulling out a towel and wash cloth, I turned on the water, waiting for it to heat up as I discarded the clothes from my body. I stepped inside, the light from the small bathroom window glinted off of my ring. It was a gift from Liam, the surprise for my birthday. I twirled it around my finger admiring the pattern of the intricate silver band, the tiny diamonds glistening as I did so. I smiled, remembering the moment he gave it to me.

+

It was our last night in Santa Barbara, we were spending it star gazing at the beach. It was desolate, not a soul in sight, which I really hadn't minded. It was so open on the beach, listening to the waves crash against the shore was a sound I would never get tired of. The quiet calm night luring me into a place of serenity, a perfect way to end a perfect trip.

"Layla." Liam smiled, grabbing my attention.

"Yeah?" I questioned, pulling my eyes away from the stars to look at him, admiring the way his eyes glinted in reflection of the moon. He was looking at me funny, I cocked my head to the side waiting for him to continue.

"I have a proposition." He continued, turning onto his side, facing me, propping himself up on his elbow.

"Okay, tell me." I smiled softly, adjusting my body so I was facing him, but remaining the way I was sitting.