Chapter Twelve: Worrying

Chapter 12: Worrying

Justin

"Oh," I whispered quietly before turning back to the window. 

Leah doesn't have any feelings at all for me? That's just great. I could've sworn I heard her talking about how she wanted to be more than friends while I was trying to wake up. Maybe I imagined it. Doesn't matter anymore. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair before closing my eyes and trying to sleep.

When I woke up we were pulled up in a rest stop and Leah was asleep. I looked around to see that no cars were pulling in and none were leaving. It was almost eight in the morning and I'm guessing we haven't been here too long. I got out of the car to try and figure out where we were. 

I saw the sign for the tourist and rest stop and it appeared we were in Omaha. Aha, the most cliche place to take a shopping break. I smirked as  I walked back into the car. I accidentally woke Leah up as I closed the door.

"Oh sorry I was just checking where we were," I spoke as I looked over at her sympathetically. She shook her head.

:It's fine. We have to keep driving anyways," she spoke quietly as she pushed her seat back into position and stuck the keys in ignition. I shook my head and looked over at her.

"First I have a surprise. So lets switch," I spoke excitedly.

"Nope, you can't drive for like 12 more hours," she stated sternly, however some humor was evident in her voice. I groaned and laid back down.

"Fine I'll tell you where to go," I suggested after a few seconds of contemplating. Leah nodded and pulled out of the parking spot before glancing over at me, indicating I needed to start talking.

"Take a left down this road and keep going until the red lights," I instructed. Leah nodded and followed my instructions. "Take a right and just keep going down this road for a few minutes." 

I guided Leah through the streets and we finally arrived at the Omaha Mall. I smiled and started singing, well rapping I guess.

"Omaha Mall, Omaha Mall, you know that we ball at the Omaha Mall!" I shouted. Leah giggled and watched me act like an idiot. I got out of the car and went over to her side to help her out as I kept singing.

I dragged her down through the parking lot and into the mall which had barely anyone in it. I was surprised it was opened since it wasn't even 9 yet. 

"Justin, I'm sorry," Leah whispered as she bit her lip and looked up at me with those innocent eyes. I raised my eyebrows and kept my glance on her.

"For what?" I asked honestly confused.

"For saying I didn't feel anything b-" Leah began, but I cut her off and sighed as I dropped my hand down.

"Leah it's okay. I can't force you to feel anything during a kiss," I spoke a little too loud. Her cheeks turned bright red as she bit her lip. "It's alright," I assured her.

"But Justin I d-" she spoke, but cut herself off and looked down at her feet. I shook it off and continued walking with her.

There wasn't much to do since a lot of the stores were closed so we walked back through the parking lot to the car. As we headed towards the car, Leah pulled out the keys and unlocked the doors.

"So like 13 hours of driving and we will be in Stratford," I spoke, pulling on the door handle. Leah nodded and got in the drivers seat.

Leah drove out of the parking lot and looked over at me for directions. I instructed her to get back onto the highway. It didn't take long for Leah's phone to start ringing and her eyes to get wide.

"Shit," she mumbled. "Can you answer that?" she asked pointing to her bag. I dug through the side pocket of her purse and found her phone. I pressed answer and put it on speaker.

"Leah, why haven't you been answering your phone for so long?" a woman on the other end asked sternly.

"I'm sorry mom. I've been really busy," she replied, looking from left to right before shifting lanes.

"That brings me to my next question. Why aren't you here yet?" her mother asked.

"The plane got canceled and I was forced," she looked over at me raising her eyebrows and narrowing her eyes, "to drive to Stratford. It was gonna be a surprise, but I'll be home late tonight," she explained.

"I assumed so. Where are you right now?" her mother questioned. Leah furrowed her brows and groaned.

"Leaving Omaha, Nebraska. Why?"

"Oh good. Leah, I need you to stop in Chicago at the Northwestern Hospital. When you get there, of course," she persisted politely. Leah tensed up a bit and tightened her grip on the wheel, so much that her knuckles turned white.

"Why?" Leah asked again. You could hear the worry in her voice. It was so evident from the way her words rolled off of her tongue. So shaky and pain ridden.

"You'll find out when you get there. I love you Leah, see you soon," her mother spoke quietly.

"Yeah love you too," Leah mumbled slowly. I hung up and looked over at Leah.

"I don't know what the hell is going on in my life anymore," she yelled, "Damn," Leah mumbled soon after. I sighed and propped my elbow up on the side of the window.

"It's okay Leah. We'll find out," I assured her. She nodded and kept her focus on the road even though her eyes were still filled with concern and worry.