Ruby Unjinxable

Before you get attached, this story is discontinued. Sort of at a cliffhanger...sorry. The protagonist does pop up in my other series, but that's a whole different ballgame. Ily.

It is common myth among most witches and wizards that there is, in existence, a person who can withstand even the most brutal of curses. Many stories and fairytales were written about this person. Though no one could ever report to have witnessed their existence. This person was branded ‘unjinxable’.

___

Ruby Summers stumbled down the street clutching her aching, bleeding side. Snow billowed around her, messing her hair about. She shivered in the harsh winter air as the cold threatened to be too much.

Ruby was very skinny; very small for ten years old and very close to falling over. Whether it was the chill of the air around her, the lack of clothing that she wore, or the wound in her side that caused Ruby to shudder was unknown. She held her hands over the cut in her side and applied a firm pressure, as warm scarlet blood seeped from beneath them.

The wind suddenly changed direction and hit the small girl headlong. The harsh, icy breeze stung her face, and seemed to be pushing her further back with every step she took. Accepting her fate, Ruby collapsed onto the cold pavement. Shivering and shuddering, Ruby drew her last breath.

Not a moment too late, a woman appeared in front of her. The Woman’s dark hair flew out of its tight bun in the harsh winds. She made for her front gate, but something, someone rather, was lying in the snow. Upon closer appearance, it was a child, a girl. She could hardly be seven. The girl was going to die if she left her there.

The woman peered down the laneway and saw it was abandoned, so gathering Ruby up in her arms, she made for her house.

______

Ruby awoke to frosted sunlight streaming through the curtains. She had no idea where she was or how she had gotten there. Something about the room reminded her of her house; the place she was running from; the place she would never return. Ruby tried to move; to feel her limbs, but everything seemed numb. Ruby tried to see if she was wounded, or if it had been a dream, but she could not move at all.

Ruby was startled as the door opened. A woman whom she had never seen before entered. Ruby tried to scream, but everything failed her.

“Are you alright?” The Woman asked worriedly. Ruby looked at the woman, a peculiar expression on her face. Out of all the things she knew, Ruby did not understand kindness. “What is your name?” Ruby could not, or would not answer. “My name is Minerva McGonagall.” The woman said kindly. Ruby just stared at her, fearful. “It’s okay, I won’t hurt you.”

“I’m Ruby.” The child whispered and Ms. McGonagall sat down on the side of her bed.

“That’s a very pretty name.” Ms. McGonagall said kindly.

“So is yours.” Ruby said, and Ms. McGonagall smiled.

“I’ve cleaned up your cut.” She told Ruby. “Come with me.”

Ruby looked up at the woman. She had kind sparkling eyes.

“Okay,” Ruby said softly. She reached out a small shaking hand; Minerva McGonagall took it in hers.

“Let’s get something to eat.” she said pulling the child to her feet. Ruby felt a searing pain in her side, from where she had been injured the night before. “Are you okay?”

“I’ve had worse.” Ruby muttered, much too softly for Minerva McGonagall to hear.

They wandered into the kitchen and Ruby climbed onto a chair. McGonagall placed a bowl of porridge in front of her.