01: cancer

- sugawara's point of view -

My heart sunk to the floor hearing what the doctor told me.

"Sugawara Koushi...it seems you have cancer and only have a week to live. I'm sorry, but there is no cure for this type of cancer."

It's not fair. How I do good things and expect good things in return but instead I get cancer...how am I supposed to tell my girlfriend, (Y/n)?

How am I supposed to tell her when we're so happy right now?

I felt a sharp pain pierce through my heart when I heard her calling me, snapping me out of my thoughts and back to reality.

"So what did the doctor say?" She asked me grabbing my arm.

"(Y/n). I love you. I want to spend the entire week with you." I said hugging her trying to hold back tears. "What's this about? Why only a week and not forever?" She ask me laughing.

"Because I'm dying." I thought.

"Because I love you." I said breathing in her lilac perfume. "Aww Koushi I love you too!" She said kissing my cheek.

"Is something wrong though?"

"Yeah. I'm dying. I have seven days and then I'll never see you again." I thought inside my head, fighting back tears.

"Nope. Everything good." I said aloud, hiding my thoughts.

"Okay! That's good news." She said smiling, pulling me into a tight hug. I felt warm tears go down my cheeks. "K-Koushi are you...crying?"

"N-no." I said, sniffling.

I wiped my tears and stood up. "Let's do something today." I said smiling. "Do we have to go out? We can just watch a movie and eat popcorn here...or what do you want to do?" She asked me yawning.

She was obviously tired so I just agreed. "Give me a minute I'm gonna go change." She said walking into her room. She was still in her pajamas so I understand. A few minutes later she came out.

She had on a gray tank top and gray sweatpants.

Her (h/c) hair was in a messy bun and she had no makeup on. She blushed saying, "what." I must've been staring. "N-nothing it's just...you look so beautiful when you have no makeup on." I said making her laugh. "Koushi you're such a weirdo."

"I know." I said laughing. "So, what movie do you wanna watch?" She asked me. "You pick. It's your house." I said. "And your idea." She replied smirking. "I'll make popcorn. The movies are in the drawer over there. Find one you haven't watched and we can watch it." She said going into the kitchen. "Alright." I said walking over to the movie drawer.

(Y/n) had a lot of movies. My favorite one that she had was Mean Girls but another movie caught my eye. One I hadn't seen. It was called, 'The Fault in our Stars'. It looked cute, so I picked it.

"You picked a movie yet?" (Y/n) asked with a bowl of butter popcorn in her small, soft hands. "Yeah!" I said. "This one." I handed her the movie and she smiled. "Are you sure, Koushi? Because once you see this movie, you'll never be the same. It's honestly one of my favorites." She said.

"Yeah!" I said. "Alright." She said. "But don't say I didn't warn you."

She put in the movie disk and grabbed a tissue box.

"What's that for? Are you sick?" I asked her picking up the box. "Nope...it's for us when the movie ends." (Y/n) said picking up a blanket.

I laid down on her couch and she put her head on my chest, pulling the blanket up over her body. The popcorn was gone half way through the movie.

"She's so beautiful." I thought to myself.

The end of the movie came fast, leaving us both crying. She was more emotional then I was even though she probably seen it a thousand times.

"Augustus...no!" She cried, burying her head in my chest. "That was so sad!" I said, kissing her forehead.

"Koushi..." she looked up at me. "If that ever happened to you, I'd kill myself."

"(Y/n)...why would you s-say something like t-that! You can't ever die! Even if something happens to me...you have to keep living!" I said holding onto her shoulders.

"What do you mean something? Koushi you're scaring me. I know something's going on! Tell me now." She said sitting up and pouting.

"Fine. The truth is..."

"I only have seven days until I die and never see you again. I'll end up just like Augustus and you'll be all alone but I'll still watch over you from heaven."

"I'm just really stressed out over volleyball and I thought maybe if we spent this week together it would help me get my mind off it." I said, lying, again.

"Oh. Okay! Why didn't you just say that!" She said with her smile shining bright.

"Koushi I love you." She said kissing my lips. I kissed back as I said, "I love you too, (Y/n)."