Chapter 7: The Howdy Hut

Wow, it's been awhile. I really apologize to my few readers :/ I put this story on hold beacuse I was really busy and had no inspiration, but recently I decided to pick it back up and write a bit. I know there's a few typos, but I was too lazy to go back and fix them so try to ignore that. thanks! Hope you enjoy....:)

The Howdy Hut

            Later that night, as I was giving some carrots to the horses, Kyle came up to me.

            “Hey, you know it’s almost six?” he asked.

            “Oh? Better get goin’,” I replied. I’d almost completed one day. Wow!

            “Well actually, Trace and I were gonna ask you something,” Kyle said as Trace walked into the barn as he said his name.

            “Okay,” I said, hesitantly.

            “You seem like a nice guy. Me and the guys are going down to the Howdy Hut for some square dancing, girls, and burgers. You down?” Kyle offered kindly.

            This was really risky, though. Could I possibly go out in public? Could I hold character, or whatever this was, for that long? Then again, if I said no, they’d think I was rude, or stuck-up, which was the whole reason I became Chris. Chris could not be rude or stuck-up, at all.

            “I mean, if you’re sure…” I said slowly, giving them time to opt out of the invitation.

            “Yeah. Four’s better than three, right?” Trace said, and politely smiled.

            We all packed Kyle’s old, slightly rusted, brown truck. Kyle and Ryan in the front; Trace and I in the back. I tried to look out the window most of the ride so none of them would recognize one of my features.

            On the radio, a Taylor Swift song came on. I had to try really hard not to start singing along. But, Ryan didn’t. He’s not shy at all. He burst into the lyrics and threw his arms out and sang, “You belong with me!” at the top of his lungs.

            Trace and Kyle looked at him, amused, but also began singing. I snorted.

            “Aw, c’mon, Chris. Don’t be shy,” Trace said, and nudged me. It would have been a light nudge for a guy his size, but not for me. I awkwardly banged into the car door and made an uncomfortable laugh.

            “I would, I just don’t know this song,” I lied.

            “Okay,” he said, and smiled. He didn’t care if I was lying or not, because he was enjoying himself singing with the other guys.

            As we pulled up to the Hut, Kyle turned off the radio and clapped his hands together once. “All right. What should be the bet tonight?”

            I was lost, so I stayed silent. Ryan was confused as well, so he asked, “What?”

            “We usually make bets every time we go in here, it makes the night a little more interesting,” he replied. “We usually don’t do it for money, it’s more for fun. I know. Tonight, whoever can get the most girls to dance with them, wins.”

            “It’s on!” Ryan replied.

            “Challenge accepted,” Trace added.

            “I’m in,” I said quickly, after Trace. This should be fun. Not.

            We all walked in and country music was blaring. There were boys with cowboy hats, lots of people with drinks, and practically everybody was wearing jeans. There were decorative haystacks everywhere, and to the left there was an electronic bull where a guy was trying to cling on. People seemed to be having a real good time.