Chapter 4: A Plan

Guilt. Something I’d never felt this strongly before. Something I now realize why people have gone crazy because of. And something I’ve actually wanted to stop by helping somebody and make them better. I wanted to take back everything I’d done.

            Why here, why now? How come I feel this way when at school I can do anything I want without feeling a thing?

            “Trace, I’m so – so – sorry,” I sputtered and got up and walked closer to him. He ignored me. “You know that I didn’t intend –”

            “It doesn’t matter,” I heard him say, his voice sounding so weak, his head still in his hands. All the power in him, all the anger or confusion – or any other feeling – was gone. All except grief. 

            “You don’t have to lie,” I told him. “It matters. A lot. And I…” I didn’t know what to even say to him.

            He slowly looked up at me, his eyes surprisingly dry and tear-free. “You just don’t understand, you never will.” He put his head back down.

            I was at a loss for words. Instead, I gently touched his shoulder. He shook it off. I gripped my hand into a fist.

            “Just go.”

            I wasn’t about to disrespect him, so I quietly got up. I glanced at him once more, and headed back to the house silently.

            No one was inside; everyone was in the barn. I went into my room and took out my phone and laid down on the bed.

            I wish I still had Brad. Whenever I was having an outfit crisis and Alyssa couldn’t help me, Brad would always comfort me and told me I looked hot in anything I wore. Well, beside the point, he always made me feel better about the situation. But I don’t think anything or anyone could comfort me now, I’ve never felt this bad. Ever.

            I clicked on the Safari button on my phone. Surprisingly, they had signal here. I didn’t know what I was doing, but I randomly typed in ‘horse’ in the search bar. The first thing that came up on Google was Buy Horses Now!

            Of course! I can work my feel-better money magic on him! I’ll buy him a new horse!

            I clicked on the link. There was a bunch of horse pictures with prices underneath. I scanned through a bunch, until I finally saw one that I liked. It was a white horse. No, it wasn’t the same, but in my opinion, this one was prettier. It was $500. Not too bad for a prize horse. I clicked Order Now! and typed in my credit card number, phone number, state, etc. I then clicked on express shipping. They said the horse would be there in two days, if I paid $100 extra for shipping, and since I’m in a remote area. Whatever. At least he was going to forgive me now!

            But…why did I care so much? Sure, I’ve created lots of enemies at my school, but I could care less if they forgave me for something I did to them. So why was I so intent on getting on Trace’s good side? My mind is so confusing even I can’t figure it out!

* * *

Finally, my horse should be coming today. After one and a half days of awkward ignoring, I could finally present my gift of apology and we’d all be one big happy neighbor family. Hopefully.

            “What is this?!” I heard Aunt Joyce screech from the kitchen. I ran out of the room in my jean skirt and blue cami that matched my eyes. I looked at her, and then ran outside knowing exactly what she was confused about. My horse!