Chapter 5

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending” – Maria Robinson

Alla walked over to her bed and plopped on top of it, spreading her arms and legs outward. Staring at the ceiling, she wondered what the next day would bring. By late tomorrow night, the ship would dock in England. Her heart hammered at the thought of it. If the man and his wife are terribly overbearing, or in any way remind me of my last situation, I shall approach Braggs and ask him to help me find employment elsewhere, she thought. Yes, that would be a good plan, even mama would…

Mama, she sighed softly. How she missed her. Her mama was her voice of reason, her conscience. How would she ever do without her, without her brother?

Her smile slowly dissipated.

“Can any nigger answer me?!” The Misses looked at the three of them, one by one. Her gaze centered on Alla. “Who gave you permission to enter this house, nigger!?”

Alla’s mama was the first to speak up. Taking a small tentative step forward she tried to plead for them, “Please Misses, I’s…I’s…”

“I didn’t ask for YOU to speak,” she said, pointing at Alla’s mama. “I can see you stupid nigger animals are going to make this difficult. Well, I’ll be fixin’ you up real good.” The Misses turned around and motioned for her workers to come forward. There were six teenage boys surrounding them, and each one was armed.

“Steady with those pistols,” she commanded. “Keep them on the girl and her brother. Remember what I told you. These niggers are savages, they eat their own kind where they come from, and will do anything to get to you.” She walked over to the front door and grabbed her bonnet from the foyer desk. “This shouldn’t take too long,” she said smiling, and closed the door behind her.

Alla noted the worker’s hands shook as they held the pistols. The boys were apparently unaccustomed to killing or threatening anyone.

“You gonna hafta git outta here,” her brother whispered to her.

“I’m not leaving you and mama,” she quietly returned. The three of them huddled closer together.

“If you ain’t gonna run, you gonna die befoe’ sunrise. The Misses gone to git men to help her, you know dat!” he angrily whispered.

“Go Alla,” her mama urged tearfully. “You make it mo’ far witout us, than wit’ us.”

Alla barely shook her head. “I WON’T leave you,” she stubbornly repeated.

“Then I guess if you ain’t gonna save yo’ self, I gots to. I loves you Alla,” her brother said with finality. He sidled up to the wall, grabbing an object.

The workers cautiously watched him, their hands still unsteady on their pistols.

Alla stared at her brother, trepidation mounting within her. “What are you—?”

He suddenly jumped in front of her; a cane posed over his head, and pushed her and their mama towards the door. “Run!” he yelled. Then he turned towards the servants, and ran towards them yelling. The boys’ fearful yells blended with Alla and her mama’s screams. Each group was fearful over two very different things. A single shot sounded throughout the house, silencing everyone.

Her brother’s body jerked once, and collapsed to the floor. The servants scampered off into the darkness of the house, taking their lights with them.