Chapter 2

Ch. 2 “Live in the Sunshine, Swim the Sea, Drink the Wild Air”-Ralph W. Emerson

Charleston, SC-1822

The sound of seagulls combined with the cold sea mist sweeping across her face awoke Alla with a start. Her eyes fluttered and squinted a few times, adjusting to the morning sun. Daylight! She’d actually slept through the whole night! There was no doubt that she needed the rest. It had been a long time since she had a good night’s sleep. Although it wasn’t that restful by some standards it was a much safer place to fall asleep, which was the best she could hope for. Lifting her head from her shoulder, she slowly looked around, and started, remembering that she needed to keep up the charade. Will these white people believe that I’m one of them?  What if they question me? What could I say? Deciding not to be her own stumbling block, she made an effort to cease her negative thoughts, resolving to try and take everything as it came.

Alla looked around once more; drinking in the sights. Never had she seen the ocean before. She found herself staring at it, as if she were in a trance of some sort. It was so beautiful. She watched the waves gather and crash almost lovingly unto the sand. The newer slaves had tried to explain what the sea was like when she questioned them, but now that she saw it for herself she knew that there was no way to describe such glory. One could only see for themselves to understand the power and beauty within it. Being born on a small plantation not only ensured harsher treatment of slaves, but it also ensured that you would never see any other sight, except maybe another plantation. That won’t be my fate, she assured herself.

Realizing at once that the driver was missing, she began searching for him amongst all of the people bustling by.  When she noticed that her frantic darting eyes were drawing attention, she immediately calmed herself. Taking another deep breath, she braced herself and climbed out of the carriage. Looking towards the sea, she saw the pathway to her freedom. Besides the sea it was the second most beautiful sight that she had seen so far. It was called the “Coureur de la mer”, translated in English, Sea Rider. The vessel was a wondrous sight to behold.  Making her way through the crowd, Alla headed towards the ship.

 Posters littered the streets and buildings she passed. Some of them advertised slave auctions; others held warnings for slaves out past ten o’clock. Everyone was aware of the law in Charleston. If a slave was caught out in the town past ten o’clock, without written permission of the slave owner, the slave would be imprisoned and severely beaten. Dragging her gaze from the posters, Alla continued on whilst taking note of passersby. Some of the blacks were free, and worked as brick masons, and carpenters. She noted that some of them, standing outside, were watching her. Alla quickly averted her gaze. Is it possible for negroes to spot one of their own? If so, she really hoped they didn’t give her away.  White people bumped shoulders with her as she passed them, but they didn’t pay her any attention.

Alla halted a few feet away from the dock. How am I going to board the ship?! She hadn’t planned that far ahead. She only knew what she wanted to do, and that was to get on the thing. The obvious solution would be to stowaway, but she saw that to do so would be very difficult.

Many uniformed men stood guard in front of the dock, gathering information from passengers as they boarded. I don’t know if I can do this!

“Excuse me, I know this may seem terribly rude, but are you Katrina Bates?” An English man, seemingly in his sixties, stepped forward from the group of men, pointing questioningly at Alla as he spoke. His silver hair glinted in the sunlight. He stood ramrod straight and perfectly poised.

If lying would get her on the ship then she guessed she was going have to do it and pray for forgiveness later. She had a lot of things to ask forgiveness for anyway.