Chapter 14: Drifting

Jewel P.O.V.
Everyone's voices drained out and I knew I was out.

Antonietta and I are talking when David comes up next to us. (First chapter!) "Hey Dave" She says. She turns to me and blushes. We are waiting out front at Newsies Square. Antonietta runs away to talk to Boots. I grab Dave's wrist.

"Youse like her?" I ask him.
"Like who?" He asks.
"Youse blushin'. Youse like Anthony!"
"Shutty! Ise don't want people ta know!"
"Youse accent gettin' betta newsie, but youse blushin and obviously like her. She likes youse back. Ask her out!"
"Youse sure Jay?"
"Just go ya bum!" I roll my eyes as he walks away.

Bulls are still out front of the Pulitzer building and Spot is there wit Brooklyn. He doesn't speak ta me the whole time. Shortly before everyone leaves Spot leaves. I don't know where to but he goes away leaving Brooklyn there.

I was gonna start going after him until Race grabs my wrist. "Jewel, don't follow him."

"Why not?" I turn around facing Race.
"Because, youse don't have ta follow his every move."
"Who eva said Ise was?" I am staring at him straight in the eyes.
"He is not dating anyone but youse, and what he is doin' now is very important. It will all turn out good in de end. Believe me Jewel."

I wrap my arm around Race's shoulders and he does the same around mine. I slip my head in the crook of his neck. He leans his head on mine. "I love ya sis," he says.
"I love ya too Race."

That night we are hanging out at the lodging house and I'm playing poker with Race, Skittery, and Bumlets when Mush and Jack comes in and sits down next to me. They put there arms over my shoulders and look at Race who smirks and nods. They look at Crutchy who sits down and takes my place at poker.

I am led upstairs where a dress and flats are put on my bed. I look up at them. "What is this?" I ask them.

"No questions, just put it on." I walk over to the closet and stop before going in.

"What's this for?" I ask them.
"Just put on the dress." Jack says.
"What now?"
"Go in your little closet and put on the dress!" Mush yells.

I go in and come out seeing nobody else there but Spot. He is dressed up nicely with his hair in a nice hat. (like a newsboy hat but in black and new) I stare dumbfounded.

"Look at youse!" he says walking ova to me.
I go to kiss him but he fades away and disappears.

It was all a dream?!?! What!!

A/N:
Okay, so if you don't get it, Jewel fell asleep and dreamt the whole chapter. So technically she is dreaming about Spot. She starts to feel like Spot is "drifting away from her" as meant by he fades away and disappears. Hope you enjoyed the chapter!
-Faith🌺