Entry Forty Eight

I feel so ill I am unsure if I am hallucinating or if this is in fact all real. Please forgive my penmanship.

The book goes into great detail about werewolves and the like, so for those of you who will be unable to read the book, I will include the highlights below:

- Werewolves, or Lycanthropes are made by administering a non-lethal bite to a human.

- It is unknown how the first werewolf was made, but conjecture about the origin includes witchcraft and sorcery.

- While the act of turning varies from person to person, it is usually quite a painful experience, as the bite causes infection.

- A wolf-kin can turn anytime at will, but will be forced to turn during a full moon phase.

This explains Geroux's medicine. The night I heard all the screaming was a full moon, as was the night of the ball. When he said that the medicine helped, he meant it helped him remain human, so he was not forced to turn.

- The fabled "Second Layer" of life will forever be visible to werewolves.

- The "Second Layer" refers to inanimate objects that are in fact, somewhat, 'alive,' albeit in a magical capacity that only werewolves and other hybrid beings can see.

- Anyone that has lycanthrope blood in their body, in any capacity, will be able to see the "Second Layer" of life.

The ornaments, the dinner and the Ball... it all makes sense.

- Wolf-kin will be unable to divulge the centuries-old secrets of lycanthrope kind, as they are magically bound to silence.

- Although, those people going through the "turn" and newly turned wolves are not bound by the magical laws. Until a freshly turned wolf has completed their "newborn" phase, they will be at risk of the truth getting out. This point is moot, though, as any non-wolf folk that newborns may come in contact with shall most likely end up dead, for the fresh wolves will be unable to control their strength or their desire to eat.

That is absolutely mortifying.

- If you are fortunate enough to survive the "turning," your body will take some time to adjust to your hybrid form. During this time, you will be stronger and faster than other, older lycanthropes.

- Persons have a 50/50 chance to survive the "turning."

Nothing quite like having your life come down to a coin flip. Although, if I am being honest, I believe the coin flip has already been decided, in my case.

After reading through the book, there are two things I can be certain of.

One: everything that is happening to me is due to the bite. There is no question. The wolf bite causes infection, which can lead down one of two paths. The first is turning into a werewolf. The second possibility, or failure to turn, results in death.

Two: I am dying. The book explained a positive, physical change when turning and yet, I have never felt weaker. The more I read, the more concerned I became. It was clear that a pernicious disease was ravaging my body.

How tragic it is, to have so many answers given to me, answers I have spent months searching for, only to have them bestowed upon me just as my life is about to end.

Geroux, where are you? I would like to see you at least one last time, before I pass.

_____________

Thanks for reading! Remember to vote and comment ^_^