Chapter 3.

Sorry that this is late and not so good.  I've been doing a lot lately. Thanks for reading. x 

 I moved down the hallway silently, listening to the Amy Winehouse. I finally bought some Diddy Beats, they are amazing, worth the 200 bucks. I gripped my backpack close to my body so it wouldn't bump into any other students. I kept my eyes on the floor and only glanced up to see door numbers. I didn't want to draw any attention because I know Carlie wants to kill me because of that whole thing in the hallway yesterday. Only because Adrian stuck up for me.  I guess the popular group decided that they finally wanted to take in a new member, who happens to be a little bit obsessed with me. Ha. 

  A pair of maroon vans with expensive jeans came into my vision replacing the speckled tile. Please don't be him, I don't feel like dealing with him. I am emotionally tired and this whole thing needs to just stop, it's getting annoying. I looked up and my body shivered before my eyes met his face, confirming my suspicion. 

 "Listen, I'm sorry about yesterday, okay? I just thought you needed me." Adrian said to me, moving closer to me as if he wasn't already on top of me. I turned my face from his, to show that I am not interested in any form of this conversation. I felt lingering looks on us. I stared at the blue and black poster advertising the winter formal next week. I slowly counted to five and turned my face back towards his. 

 "I'm never going to need you. Get that through your thick skull! I can handle things on my own and I've been handling that situation for a while now. I've lived all of my life without you! I don't need you!" I said, surprised at how strong my voice sounded. I didn't dare look into those eyes. I focused on the tiny scar by his nose. It was a little bit darker than his skin, sticking out. It wasn't an ugly scar, it was just something significant. His voice snapped me out of my trance. What the fu..did I just get into a trance over some stupid scar?

 "Marley, can you stop with this little act you're trying to do? You're acting stupid and I hate when you act stupid, because you aren't a stupid girl." He said, putting his arm around me. 

 "I'm not acting stupid. YOU'RE acting ridiculous. Why are YOU doing this to ME? I don't want to know you, Adrian. Just let me be! I never asked you to come into my life so stop putting yourself in it!" I screamed. I jerked out of his grip and started walking in the opposite direction. He doesn't even know me and I'm acting stupid? You're the one who can't take a hint! You're the stupid one for trying to get involved with me! Just go away! I walked out of the front doors, who cares if school didn't even start yet - not like I'm going to ever need it where I'm headed.

I got in my car and started driving wherever the roads were taking me. I ended up turning into the gates of my old neighborhood, of course this just the icing on the crappiest cake. I let out a bitter laugh and pulled over into the parking lot for the neighborhood park which also has a water-park. Faint memories gathered in my head. I looked at the park. It still looked the same, after all these years. Well kept, the slide is still it's bright cherry red and the swings are still a neon green even in this ugly weather. I got out of my car and went over towards the swings and sat down. 

I got in my car and started driving wherever the roads were taking me. I ended up turning into the gates of my old neighborhood, of course this just the icing on the crappiest cake. I let out a bitter laugh and pulled over into the parking lot for the neighborhood park which also has a water-park. Faint memories gathered in my head. I shook them out and stared at the park. It still looked the same, after all these years. The slide is still it's bright cherry red and the swings are still a neon green even in this ugly weather. I got out of my car and went over towards the swings and sat down. 

I looked up at the bland, winter sky, and closed my eyes. 

"Marissa, why do you even want to be here, swinging on these dirty swings, when you can be doing other things that can give you a future! Why do you even like this park, huh? Does this park promise you a good future, does it get you in all of the good business deals, the invitations to the parties, the functions, the class, the power? Sometimes, I worry about you. I worry that you're going to be a failure.  Just like Albert and his kid." My father's irritated voice came into my head. It sounded like he was actually there. My mouth and throat went dry. It sounded so real. On the screen in my head, I saw 7 year old me, swinging on the neon green swing. My mother pushing me and my father pacing around with an annoyed look on his face.

"Oh George, let her do whatever she wants, she's just a child! Let her be her own person! Not everything has to be about work and that's obviously something you don't seem to understand!" My mother's voice came into defend me. 

I shook the thoughts out of my head and started swinging angrily. Two hands stopped my swing, I turned around ready to scream and curse at them for interrupting me.

"Before you throw you anger out at me, I think you wouldn't mind me telling you that you almost broke the swing." I turned around and came face to face with a chest, I looked up and saw the owner. He gave me a bright awkward smile. I didn't say anything or do anything just stared at the unfamiliar boy.  Not another one please.

"Well, okay. I'm Brian." He reached out his hand, I stared at it for a minute, and shook it and a big gust of wind came over. Brian's body went rigid and he took off his OBEY sweat shirt and gave it to me. He only had on a thin white v-neck and ripped light jeans with black flip flops. 

"Put this on, you look cold." When I opened my mouth to protest, my teeth started chattering. He gave me a knowing look and put the shirt on for me, I didn't protest either, his sweatshirt felt good. He sat on the swing next to me and started lightly swinging. Well, cool, go ahead and invite yourself. I looked around at the closed water park. 

"What's going on with you that would make you want to murder a swing?" He said, I felt his gaze on me, I kept staring at the waterpark. 

"Problems." I stated, hoping that he'll get it that I don't want to talk about it.

"You can share with me, I am a stranger…it's not like you're ever going to see me again." He said smiling, but still staring off in the distance.

"We're technically not strangers since you introduced yourself to me, Brian." I got off of the swing. 

"Don't go anywhere, okay? I just wanted to talk to you. I am new in this town and it's just so hard getting to know people." I wanted to believe him, but something felt off inside, he gave me a look of desperation. I ignored my gut feeling and sat back down on the swing. 

After talking to Brian for an hour, I felt a little bit better. My gut feeling wasn't nagging at me as bad as before. I learned the basics about him. He's a pretty good kid, definitely smart. He's going to the private school not too far from here. We walked around the park a couple of times and I got tired so we layed in the grass. We weren't speaking now and I had my eyes clothes, taking in the silence.

"Do you want to hang out?" He asked. I didn't open my eyes, before I got to speak someone interrupted me.

"No. She doesn't want to hang out with you." My eyes flew open and saw Adrian standing over us. He had his sunglasses on, so I couldn't see his eyes, but his tone was so bitter. I sat up, anger filling up inside of me. I faced Adrian, ready to tell him off, he had a hard look on his face. 

"What the hell, Adrian?" I said, throwing my hands up in the air. I pushed him. He didn't budge. He wasn't even paying attention to me, he was staring at Brian. Tension was very strong now. I'm guessing these two know each other. Oh, great.

"Can someone tell me what the hell is going on?" I said looking at them two. I was standing inbetween them now, closer to Brian. No one answered me. Okay, you know what, fuck this. I started to move, but someone grabbed my arm. I looked up and saw it was Brian. What the hell.

"Brian, let go." I said trying to get out of his grip, he grabbed my arm tighter.

"This is the girl!" His voice had anger in it as he raised my arm. Confusion swept over my face. What is he talking about. 

 "No. This isn't her. You know I wouldn't go that low. I have a repuation." Adrian said in a tone that hurt me deep down. 

  "If this isn't her, then why are you so damn protective of her?" Brian said with a smirk on his face. I tried to get out of his grip, but he pulled me closer.  

"Let me go!" I screamed at him, pushing my nails into his skin, he didn't budge.  

"Let her go, Brian." Adrian said, I could tell he was trying to keep his cool.

 "Of course, but not until I get a taste of her first, you wouldn't mind that, right, Adrian?"  

Wait, what?