Paranoia || Naruto Uzumaki || Chapter 6

Ah yes, finally getting into the chapters that I know everyone has been waiting for. So many thanks to Emily and Lisa for all the help they have given me. I truly hope you guys enjoy this chapter. Comments are most welcome C: 

*******************************************

“Really Naruto, it’s not that big of a deal.” Melanie sighed into the phone. Naruto could tell she was trying to balance it against her shoulder. He pictured her standing in front of a mirror trying on different outfits. Did she go through this much effort when she hung out with him?

            “You don’t understand Melanie, Kabuto isn’t a good guy.”

            “Why not?”

            “He just isn’t!” Naruto insisted. They had, had this conversation multiple times since Kabuto asked Melanie out. Each conversation ended in a heated argument with one of them mad at the other.

            “That’s not a reason,” Melanie said, growing increasingly irritated.

            “I have my reasons.”

            “Then tell me them!” Melanie practically begged. She was met with silence. “It’s about that girl isn’t it; the one from Shikamaru’s party? I saw the way you looked at her.”

            Naruto closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose, silently counting to ten. He wasn’t surprised Melanie noticed his reaction to Caroline. He had just hoped it would never come up. He wanted to tell her everything, to finally expose how bad of a guy Kabuto is, but every time he opened his mouth something else came out. “Just trust me.”

            “Look, Naruto you know I like you but you haven’t given me any reason not to hang out with Kabuto. It’s not like it’s a date.”

            Naruto’s heart fluttered in his chest from her confession. “Why can’t you come hang out with me? Isn’t that reason enough?”

            “Why, though?” Melanie pressed. Naruto knew what she wanted; what she needed him to say. He wanted to tell her that a mere text from her could send his heart into a frenzy. He wanted to tell her of all the times he wanted to lean in and kiss her or to hold her hand.

            He wanted to tell her that he liked her.

            “Because I’m cool,” Naruto answered lamely, shoulders slumping in disappointment. Everyone talks about how you can’t say the “L” word before your ready but why does no one talk about telling a girl you like her when you already know she likes you back?

            “I have to get ready. I’ll talk to you later okay?”

            Naruto threw his phone, letting out a huff of frustration.  Realizing what he had done, Naruto rushed to where his phone landed. Picking it up he rubbed the smooth surface in a silent apology. He flopped backwards onto his bed knowing he should text Melanie or call her back; do something other than argue with her about how bad of a guy Kabuto is.

            Naruto knew he was acting like a jealous boyfriend and they weren’t even dating. He let out a groan. Why haven’t I ask her out already? Naruto thought then I wouldn’t have to worry about Kabuto.

            Except that he would.

            Naruto would always be worried about Kabuto. He knew Melanie was different than Caroline. That was obvious but he had trusted Caroline, he had loved her and look where it got him. It wasn’t a matter of not trusting Melanie; it was the cold, hard fact that he didn’t trust Kabuto.