l a t t e

l a t t e

                   Serenity stared at her now-empty cup with a frown. A glance at her watch told her that she still had to stay fifteen minutes before she would go across the street to her friend’s boutique. Feet tapping nervously, her eyes kept falling on the empty seat across from hers.

                   A dark shadow blocked the fluorescent yellow lighting from above, and Serenity jerked a little, looking up to see a tall man take the seat she was just gazing at. Mouth opening and closing, she let out a small squeak of excitement, which quickly died down as she saw that it wasn’t Alex returning. Her heart beat more dully.

                   She stared in mortification as the man settled himself in Alex’s spot, his denim jeans crushing Alex’s drawing under his bottom. Why was he here? She supposed it was normal for customers to walk in and find an empty seat and sit in it, but this particular customer was far too skinny, his shoulders weren’t as wide, and his eyes were more of hazel than of chocolate. He could not sit here.

                   “Hello.” His voice was teasing as he gave her a small smile and leaned on his elbow.

                   “G-Go away.” She almost clapped a hand over her trembling mouth but stayed firm. Her insides, which had a little while back been tumbling and rolling at her out-of-order life, were now completely settled, almost numb. How wonderful.

                   The newcomer furrowed his eyebrows, then relaxed them. “I am sure you are aware this is a free country. But if you don’t want to chat, that’s fine too.” The teasing was gone, and even his posture had moved from casual to a more stiff back.

                   Serenity bit into her glossy lip before silently cursing herself. Clearing her throat she attempted a smile, which was more of just a twitching lip.  “I didn't mean to come off like that. I don’t normally, uh, talk to strangers. or sit here alone, just so you know. I guess, erm, I’m just not used to it. I-I’ll go now.”

                   He hadn’t even finished nodding in understanding before she threw all caution to the wind and grabbed her notebook and got up to leave. Then she looked back, hurriedly reaching over to grab the crumpled drawing from beside the confused man and stuffing it into her bag.

                   Muttering an apology under her breath Serenity shoved her way out into the cold air outside the cafe. Breathing hard, she looked at her trembling hands and her dragon's breath puffed out in tune with her beating heart.

                   Winter. All around, it was just winter. A simple season. And New Year's? A simple day. Why was it so hard to ignore the world and stay on her own strict path? Why was that one accidental glance at Alex her undoing?

                   She felt completely off-balance. She wasn’t supposed to like Alex. They weren’t supposed to speak. He wasn’t supposed to leave before their hour was up. She hated skinny lattes.

                   Feet moving of their own accord, she didn’t even notice where she was until a voice called out to her. “Ren! You’re here early.”

                   Looking up, she saw Mendel smiling at her, brushing away her blonde curls as she finsihed putting a dress up on its hanger. Her friend’s face immediately fell as she noticed Serenity’s shaking form. “Girl, what happened?"

                   A single tear fell down Serenity's face.