Suddenly Starlet--Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

“Remind me again why I’m doing this?” Laney asked her mom as she waited for her stylist to come back with her equipment.

Laney was sitting Indian-style in a chair facing a huge round mirror in a trendy LA salon. Her hair was back to its usual straightness since she had just had it shampooed and conditioned a few minutes before. She sat there as a few droplets found their way down her neck and soaked through her tank top.

Her mom was seated a few feet from her, magazine in one hand, glass of champagne in the other. It was apparent to Laney that she was planning on relaxing a little bit earlier than was planned.

“Because, of all the great genes I passed on to you Laney dear, style apparently wasn’t one of them,” Mrs. Herman said trying to imitate the agent.

Her mom brought the glass to her lips as Laney’s stylist walked back over to her station.

“Well, hello Laney,” the perky redhead exclaimed, staring at her reflection in the mirror while she talked. “My name is Casey and I’m going to be giving you a new do today. Do you have an idea of what you want?”

She had no clue what she wanted, but knew it was something different than who she was right then. Laney shook her head.

“My hair is in your hands,” Laney said before she could chicken out.

Her mother raised her eyebrows at her.

“But don’t go too crazy,” her mom added to Casey. “I still want her to look like my 14-year-old daughter.”

Casey smiled sweetly and nodded as if she knew exactly what Mrs. Herman meant. “No problemo.”

Casey handed Laney a few teen magazines and then started snipping away. Laney kept glancing up to check out her hair, and finally Casey had to turn her chair away from the mirror. “Uh, uh, uh,” she said wagging her perfectly manicured finger. “It’s gonna be a surprise.”

Twenty minutes later, Casey put down her scissors and clapped her hands together happily.

“We’re done already?” Laney asked surprised at how quick it had been.

Casey laughed.

“No way, girlie,” she said, checking the length of her hair on both sides of her face. “This is just phase one.”

“Oh,” Laney said, allowing herself to be dragged off to another part of the salon.

She watched as Casey added together a bunch of powders and liquids in a plastic bowl. Suddenly, a horrible smell reached Laney’s nostrils and she plugged her nose to keep from gagging.

“Oh god,” Laney exclaimed. “What reeks?”

“It’s the bleach,” Casey explained as she stirred the purplish mixture. “I’ve been working here so long, I guess I don’t even notice the smell anymore.”

“It’s nie to doe somebody doesn’t,” Laney said, her fingers up her nose to mask the smell.

After a half-hour of Casey applying the stinky stuff to her hair and covering it with squares of tinfoil, Laney thought she’d have some time to sit around. But that’s when phase three started.

            “Laney, this is Helga,” Casey said, standing next to an older blonde woman. “Helga is going to shape up those eyebrows of yours, while we’re waiting for the dye to take.”

            Waving goodbye, Casey left Laney alone with the woman.

            “Hi,” Laney said as Helga sat down in front of her and examined her face.