The Promise, Part 6

"Where are you going?" Bao asked the next morning.

"To deal with a problem," I said as I marched through the palace. "Zuko's getting carried away. The Harmony Restoration movement is on the cusp of recreating the war; this is getting out of control."

Bao took my by the hand, stopping me in the corridor. "Saki, stop," he said. "Think for a minute. You're carrying our child. Why should you be the one to resolve another one of Zuko's conflicts?"

"Because, Bao," I snatched my hand from his, "it's my fault that it's gotten this far. I convinced him to reject the movement, so this is my responsibility. I've dealt with more under worse conditions. My pregnancy won't be a problem."

"Saki, be serious!" He persisted, following me as I stomped away. "This is crazy! You can't just run off on some rambunctious adventure."

"It's not an adventure, Bao," I said. "I'm trying to prevent another falling out between the Nations, and you're standing in my way! Would you rather we go into another hundred-year war?"

"N-No, of course not!"

"Then stop trying to prevent me from doing this." With that, I resumed my rush to commence my plan.

Spirits, being on the ship again was surreal. I'd spent so many years living here, fighting here, nearly dying here. Zuko and I even had many... moments here. For goodness sake, I had my first kiss on that ship.

My life was on this vessel. Part of me wondered if that's why Zuko continued to use it, regardless of its inferior size in comparison to the others. The other part, the more realistic part, knew that he'd kept it because his life was shaped here.

My fury was washed away as I walked across the deck, silently acknowledging the staff with a gentle smile and wave as they prepared the ship for sail. Despite the unfortunate instances that occured here and the stressful situation we were about to enter, all I could think about was the pleasant memories I had. Music nights, training with the soldiers, sharing stories. I missed it all, really.

As I made my way below deck, I could hear Zuko's distressed mumbling as I neared what was once Iroh's quarters. "In my heart, I know that what I'm doing is right. I'm not defending a colony, I'm defending the people," I heard him say, his voice muffled through the metal door, "and I'm defending their bonds with one another."

Slowly and quietly, I opened the door to listen as he poured his heart out. I leaned against the doorframe with my arms crossed over my chest. Zuko sat on his knees in front of a chest, where a portrait of Iroh laid out. The room was illuminated by two candles, making Zuko's shadow dance on the floor.

"But there is one fact that makes me doubt myself," he went on. "Leading an army to Yu Dao is exactly what my father would have done if he returned to the throne. From the outside, it looks as if I'm acting just like him. Does it matter if my reasons are different?"

"I wouldn't say you're acting just like him," I finally said. Having startled him, Zuko nearly jumped out of his armour. "You haven't burned and banished any children yet."

"Ha ha," he said sarcastically, looking over his shoulder at me, "very funny."

"I know I am," I said with a shrug. I entered the room and looked at the portrait of the man that had acted as our father for years. "I miss him, too. Have you contacted your uncle at all since this all began?"

"No," he replied with a shake of his head. "He wanted a quiet life after the war, and that's the one thing I can give him to repay him for everything he's done for me — for us. I can't disturb him. I won't."

I nodded and slowly kneeled beside him. "Zuko, you and I need to have an important talk," I said.

"Can this wait, Saki?"

I answered sternly, "No." I looked him in the eye and began. "While I still don't support the Harmony Restoration Movement, even in the least bit, I believe you're becoming irrational in your course of action. Sending spies, Zuko? Really?"

"It was those spies that revealed the Earth King's plan to send troops to Yu Dao, Saki," he reasoned. "I'm countering his offense."

I paused. He had a point. A very valid point, at that. "You said you're worried about becoming your father," I said, "so why would you fulfill his legacy of conflict? Is this about what Mayor Morishita said when we returned his daughter to him?"

Just then, General Mak barged into the room. He held Zuko's helmet in his hands. "Fire Lord Zuko," he said firmly, "we have landed on the shores of the Earth Kingdom."

Zuko glanced at me, standing up. "Don't worry, Saki," he told me as he slipped the helmet over his head. "Everything will be fine. You'll see." He turned and exited, the whirling of his cape dramatically blowing out the candles.

I sighed and stood up, following the two out.

And to think I was beginning to feel guilty about plotting against him.