Chapter 13

Morning came, and so did the pain from my wound. In addition to this, six faces were hovering over my again. Each one had a wide grin, and spoke cheerily as I awoke. Before giving me a chance to say a word, three pairs of arms coiled around me. "It's so good to see you!" Katara's voice rang. "What are the odds that you would be here?"  

Then came Sokka. Then a girl named Suki, who Sokka looked to be very fond of. Then came Toph, who punched my shoulder as a sign of affection. As much as it hurt, I appreciated it. In the back stood that girl, Mika, with an incomprehensible expression. I shrug it off and focus on my reunion with my dear friends. Zuko and Sokka sat on either side of me on my cot, and the group and I exchanged recounts of our stories. I left out the part about Zuko allowing Azula to do everything that she had. I didn't need to bring it up. They seemed to really like him now, and I had no intention of ruining that. Instead, I altered the story to depict Zuko as too busy to be around to witness Azula and Mai's behavior. 

Sokka took the lead in dramatically reenacting their attempt to invade the palace during the eclipse — just as I had predicted — and how they'd gotten their father and Suki out of The Boiling Rock. I had to say, I was impressed with everything they had done. I'd never truly met Suki, a former Kyoshi Warrior, but she was definitely someone that I could get along with. Once again, attention was suddenly somehow drawn to my bandaged side. Can everyone focus on the fact that I'm alive? I thought. 

I'd explained everything that happened the day of the eclipse. From how I'd gotten the keys from Jeng (without explaining exactly how I'd gotten them) to escaping with Iroh, to fighting the guards on my own and being stabbed by the younger recruit. They all were captivated by the encounter. 

"There's... some other things I want you guys to know," I added, more hesitantly. "I learned a lot about myself while in that cell. About my parents, mostly." I looked up and met concerned expressions. Zuko and Sokka both gripped my hands, as if preparing to comfort me. "I was given some scrolls while I was locked up. You know, I always wanted to know about my parents, about they knew Ursa. Nobody's ever actually told me anything. So, when I was given the scrolls, I was ecstatic." I absentmindedly reached for my necklace, and felt a lump in my throat as I remembered that I know longer had it. Sokka and Zuko squeezed my hands as I explained the relationship between my parents and Ursa, my unfortunate relation to Zhao, and how the deaths of my mom and dad were basically my fault. 

Sokka was the only one to speak, but my name was all that was said before I stood and exited my tent. I rushed past Piandao, who called after me as I ran out of the camp. I climbed through the rocks down the hill that we occupied and chose one to sit atop of. I breathed heavily, waiting for tears to come — but nothing came. I wanted to cry. No, I needed to cry. I needed to let out every bit of emotion that I'd been hiding, but my body just refused to give in. 

"Saki?"

I turn my head just enough to see my favorite Water Tribe boy approaching. 

"Saki, you're acting strange," he said, climbing onto my rock. "Is there something you aren't telling us?" I nodded. "Well, you can tell me."

"You won't be happy about it," I replied quietly. 

"There's nothing you can do to make me upset," he frowned.

"I wouldn't bet on it," I muttered. "Anyway, it's not something that I did..."

Sokka looked at me intensely. "Saki, tell me now. You're worrying me."

I looked down meekly. "You have to promise you won't freak out."

"Why would I freak out?"

I sighed, knowing that this could go horribly. "After Ba Sing Se — after Azula did what she did to Aang — Zuko took me back to the Fire Nation,  but I didn't want to go. I was never really welcomed there. Anyway, I was practically Azula's slave. It was awful, Sokka. He was never there to help me, no matter what she did." I reached for my necklace again, then remembered that it was no longer there. I looked at Sokka with teary eyes and found a sad look in his eye. "We eventually got into a fight, and I was locked in prison."

Sokka looked angry now. "Is that what happened to your necklace?" I nodded. "And he didn't do anything about it?!" I shook my head, and Sokka slid down from the rock.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

His hands were now clenched fists and a scowl was contorting his face as he stomped towards the camp. "To have a talk with Zuko," he growled.

I hopped down from the rock and ran to catch up with him. "No! This is why I didn't want to tell you!" I said, grabbing him by the arm. "I've already forgiven him, Sokka. Please don't make this into a bigger deal than it needs to be."

"Saki, why would you forgive him so quickly?"

"Because," I sighed, "I always forgive the people I love. Let's not forget, I forgave you when you decapitated my doll when we were little. I could've held that grudge for all these years." This made him laugh, though he tried to hide it. I smiled and hugged him tightly.

"What's this for?" He asked while returning the hug. 

"I've just missed you, that's all."

That afternoon, I sat in my tent with Katara sitting behind me, braiding my hair and humming quietly. "I'm so happy to have you back," she said. "I've missed having you around."

I smiled weakly. "What about that girl, Mika? You guys seem to really like her. How'd you meet her?" 

Before Katara could answer, Mika once again intruded my tent. Katara tensed a bit upon seeing Mika's expression. I couldn't quite read her, but the air consisted of only awkward silence. "I'll...come back later," Katara said, finishing my braid and standing. She looked from me to Mika and back again, then she left us alone.

"Is there a reason you're looking at me like that?" I asked. 

Mika sat in front of me, arms crossed over her chest. "Are you and Sokka dating?"

I had nearly choked on air. I parroted, "Dating?"

"I saw you two earlier," she frowned. "On that rock—You two were hugging and looking at each other very happily. And in here this morning, he wouldn't let go of your hand while you were talking. I need an answer now." I began laughing. Not a casual laugh, either. I was laughing hysterically at the thought of being in a romantic relationship with someone who was like an older brother. I couldn't even answer her question. Mika's face flushed of color. "I don't appreciate being made fun of," she frowned. 

"I'm sorry," I said in-between laughs. "It's just— that's such a ridiculous thing to assume."

She blushed again, tucking hair behind her ear. She opened her mouth to speak, but Toph came in and blurted, "If you princesses are done gossiping, Iroh and Zuko want to have a talk."