One

Laying in a pool of my own blood, taking in ragged breath after ragged breath, I wonder how my life could have taken such a drastic turn. This was supposed to be the best summer of my life, going to the birthplace of my maternal grandparents, Egypt. My mom surprised me with the plane tickets for my 17th birthday present. Now I'm staring at her body, lifeless eyes wide with fright.

I'm going to die soon. With each breath more difficult then the last, it won't be much longer before my body gives out. I know I must be bleeding profusely with the way that animal used me for a scratching post.

It was my fault, I was the first attacked, I wandered off a bit looking at the wildlife when suddenly the birds all scattered. I thought I had scared them off, so I turned to head back to my mom and the tour guide, but that's when I saw what really scared the birds away. It was huge with big golden eyes, jet black fur, and growling in my face. I was frozen with fear as it slowly leaned in towards my neck. When I felt its sharp fang like teeth graze my jugular, I finally snapped out of it and screamed for my life. The cat like creature flinched at my scream, then proceeded to bite down on my neck and rake its claws from my left shoulder to my right hip.

Excruciating pain filled my senses, blinding me to the world. Not just from the sharp teeth and claws piercing my skin but it also seemed to radiate from the bite, as if my blood was being replaced with acid. I could feel every vein in my body burning and pulsing with agony as I slumped to the floor. Just before I lost consciousness I could almost hear the sounds of my mother, screaming in complete despair as they found me.

"Layla?! Oh god Layla baby stay with me. Look at me Layla, LAYLA!"

For a fleeting moment before I passed out I thought they could save me, but when the sun woke me the next morning I came to the quick realization of how wrong I'd been. I was still by the tree that had the birds nest, I was still bleeding to death and in pain from the bite on my neck. I briefly wondered if I had imagined my mothers frantic voice last night, but when I saw her corpse next to me I realized I hadn't. They found me alright, but were helpless against that beast.

At some point I must have lost conciseness again, because I awoke to the screaming of several people. I groaned in pain but immediately wished I hadn't, as the fire in my veins amplified. Cracking my eyes open I could see a middle aged Egyptian man kneeling next to me, trying to speak to me.

"Miss? What. is. you. name?" He asked, English obviously not his native tongue. "What. happen. here?"

I couldn't help but wish for death to claim me, as the emotional pain coupled with the physical torment drove me over the edge. "Kill me... please.. " I managed to whisper before everything went black.

------------------------------------

I'm all alone in the quiet darkness, "Mom? Mom, where are you?" I call out, but not even an echo is returned. "Hello? Can anybody hear me?"

Suddenly the scream of a giant wildcat comes from behind, making me instantly fearful. I turn to see the face of death, the monster that killed my only family. It snarls with a hissing like sound and lunges for my throat.