=Chapter 2=

=Chapter 2= 

The sound was cacophony with men and women yelling at one another. Some people walked with horses beside them. The whites of their horses eyes showing, heads up high in fear of the yelling and banging. 

A young horse took a leap forward. Throwing its black head around like a mad dog. 

"You behave yourself, or off to the butcher you'll go!" The man holding the horse yelled as he pulled the horse back beside him with one large tug on the rope. 

Around fifty men and women moved around the main part of town. The shops to the side were full of people walking in and out. A couple of yards from the little shops, a group of people began to crowd around a round pen. Their eyes looking over people's heads. All the people wore clothing that was dark and old-looking, but never the less, they came with money in their pocket. 

A man stepped into the pen and looked around at all the people. He wore a dark-colored jacket of gray. His eyes a dark green and his gray hair showed signs of once being brown. The man cleared his throat, and the last bit of talking disappeared. 

"Welcome, let's get this started" he said gruffly. "And you all know how it’s done, so let's finish this up." 

The man walked to the pen gate and opened it up. The gate squeaked in protest against being open. However he didn't stop at its cry. The dark gray man in the jacket moved his away to make room as a goat got pulled into the pen. 

The person dragged the goat by its rope, and it slowly followed. Six more goats walked in following their handlers. The man in the jacket closed the gate as the last one walked in. People stared to point and discuss the goats, when it had been about five minutes the gray jacket came back to the gate and opened it. The handlers brought the goats out and tied them to a hitching post. Some of the people who had watched them walked over to give them a better look up close. 

Back at the pen. Seven horses entered. Their eyes looked at the men. One horse, a dark gray, walked with a bit of soreness. Anyone with a good eye could see it, but many of these people never thought she looked out-of-place. When the man opened the gate the horses did the same as the goats did. The horses followed their owners out of the pen. After tying all the horses up, just like the goats. The mare halted and watched as people came around looking at them all. The man holding the mare was a boy around the age of seventeen. He had black hair that was in a mess. He had a pointed nose and his eyes were a blue-green. He stroked the horse's neck twice and watched as people came up to look at the horses. 

"Thirty five?" one man asked the boy. His eyes full of light. 

"Hmm" Said the boy, thinking for a second for his reply "You see sir, this was my horse growing up sir, and I really want to sell her for a good price, so I must say no" 

"I understand," he replied. He leaned forward and whispered "Between you and me, she is lame and I can see it, thirty-five is a good price, I say you won't get any higher. I would reconsider if I were you." 

He pulled back with a gentle simile on his face. The boy nodded and started to pet the mare again "I still say no. I am sorry. They only reason she is lame is because I can't afford a farrier for her feet. So her they are a little too long." the boy explained to the man.

The man looked at the boy up and down; he was turning away when a young blond head boy around sixteen run over to the mare. "I'll pay seventy-five" He said to the boy with the horse. The older man turned his eyes back. 

"Little lad that's far too much, she's lame. This mare cannot pull a wagon, the only thing she can do is really light rides." he warned the teen.