=Chapter 1=

=Chapter 1=

A girl ran out of a house, slamming the door behind her. She was angry and it showed in the way she walked down the dirt road. Her white dress covered her bare feet which were warm from the summer sun warming the dirt road. Her black hair was a mess and her dark green eyes were about to break into tears, but she held them in. 

People watched as she pushed by keeping her eyes to the ground. She passed the town bar and many little shops but she never looked up. She continued to walk. The houses and shops started to thin and soon only trees shaded the road. 

But she pressed on and passed a sign which read "Brook Town". She turned around to see where she had just come from. The tall trees blocked her view of the town, and the road that slowly went downhill was empty, not a person or thing in sight. 

The girl turned on her heels and continued to walk away from the town. The road turned to the right but she kept walking start until she reached the wood land. Moving some of the brush out of her way she spotted a trail that she had taken many times before. 

Stepping lightly so her bare feet didn't step on a thorn, she walked on to the trail. She grabbed hold of her dress so it didn't drag on the forest floor and rip on the branches.  

The girl walked down the trail that was dry and with low growing plants on the side. Her dark green eyes lit up and she let her dress hit the forest floor. She felt at home here and twirled around the path. The birds seemed to come alive in the trees and she took a breath of fresh air, filling her lungs with the sweet smell of summer. 

She moved down the path at a fast run and skipped into the air. Doing it over and over. 

She slowed as she came to her favorite part of the forest. A little stream that the trail run by had a steep slope on one side, but on the side the girl was on the trail stayed close to the water's edge before it too sloped up. 

The girl lay back on to the slope, and closed her eyes, listening and breathing in her surroundings. 

She turned on her side using her arm as a pillow and thinking about what it might be like to get away from that godforsaken town. Away from the dull colored houses, what the world really looked like. 

Taking one last breath and holding on to her vision of the outside world, she fell asleep.

* * * 

An owl hooted close, making the girl who was sleeping open her eyes. She blinked the sleepiness from her eyes, but stood up as fast as a falling pebble when she saw the setting sun. 

She took off up the path using the little sun light she had left. But by the time she made it up the hill the sun was gone. There was no moon that night and the stars gave no light. All she could do was try to go off memory. Stumbling along the path that the girl could not see, she slipped on a stone. She fell back landing hard on the back of her head and elbows, blood trickling down her arm. She stayed on the ground for a seconded. Before putting her hand slowly to the back of her head, she moved her hair slowly to reach her scalp. Warmth touched her finger tips, she already knew it was blood but she just hoped that it wasn't. 

She moved her hand away from the back of her head, and when she was clear she whipped her hand to her eyes. Squinting, she moved her hand closer seeing only her indents and middle fingers with a small amount of blood. Taking a deep breath she put her hand back to her head and stood up. She felt a little wobbly and grabbed hold of a tree. 

When the dizziness cleared a bit she walked along the path, her hand still on the back of her head. She could tell she was about half way out of the wood land and wished she didn't slip and cut her head so she could run.