The Elf and the Wolf

Tiernan strode down the steps of the ancient tower and out into the front courtyard. He was greeted by a blast of cold wind and snow and glaring light. With a groan he turned his back to the courtyard, and placed one bare hand against the ice covered stone wall of the castle. Two large hands grabbed his arm by the elbow and gently pulled him away from the wall and towards the courtyard.

"You really ought to be more careful sir." Tiernan couldn't see the speaker but it was a man, with a thick british accent.

Annoyed he replied: "Careful has nothing to do with it. I'm not good with any light to begin with."

"Aye, but that'd be no excuse to not be careful lad. Ye have a conference to get ready fer." Another man. It sounded like his body guard Erik McFaelen, a scotsman in his late 30's.

Despite the fact that Tiernan was several centuries older then him Erik still called him lad. And if that was Erik then...Tiernan looked up as his eyes slowly adjusted to the gleaming white light. Josh was holding him by the arm. He was Erik's protege so to speak. Josh, or Joshua Ferris Kindle, was a former student of the Academy who had decided to stick around and learn Erik's "trade": Protecting the mysterious headmaster of the academy. A task that involved medical training, political training, police training, mastery of self, arcane mastery, and weapons mastery. A task perfectly suited for the young british elf who loved nothing better then excelling at difficult tasks.

Josh smiled crookedly at Tiernan. "He's right you know. The conference starts in about an hour and you still aren't wearing your formal dress." He paused. "Mind you the circus freaks are already starting to show up. We've had to let them into the outer courtyard. It was getting to crowded with their helicopters and cameras. Salem is overlooking the security right now. The gates will open in half an hour. You better get dressed."

Tiernan streightened himself and pulled out his black sunglasses. Those helped him out. Not that he could see much more anyways. His eyes took so much longer to adjust to light. Right now he was basically blind.The three made their way to the keep. A helicopter flew overhead, landing in the training yards.

"It looks like our students are starting to arrive Sir." Josh pointed out just as they entered through the front doors.